Menu

'Caps Lock is On' warning is not reliable

Grindax
2020-07-13
2020-07-16
  • Grindax

Grindax - 2020-07-13

It seems that the warning about Caps Lock doesn't accurately take into account the state of the Caps Lock key each time the 'Open Database' dialog is shown.

Steps to reproduce with KeePass 2.45 on Windows 10:

1. Turn Caps Lock on.
    2. Hit 'Ctrl + Alt + K' to show the Open Database dialog. Warning is displayed.
    3. Hit 'Esc' to close the Open Database dialog.
    4. Hit 'Esc' again to close the KeePass window.
    5. Turn Caps Lock off.
    6. Hit 'Ctrl + Alt + K' to show the Open Database dialog. Warning is displayed (unexpected, and incorrect).

At this point, if you hit Esc again a couple of times to close everything, and then turn Caps Lock back on again, if you then hit ''Ctrl + Alt + K' to show the Open Database dialog again, you can then often get the opposite problem whereby no warning is shown when Caps Lock actually is on.

Something appears to be very unreliable in KeePass's determining of whether Caps Lock really is on or not, at the point where the Open Database dialog is displayed. I've run these same tests on multiple PCs with the same results.

• Paul

Paul - 2020-07-14

Not doing it on my W8.1 system.
    It does on my W10 1903 system, but it's not consistent and sometimes you don't get the warning if Caps Lock is on. Looks like W10 is playing up as usual.

cheers, Paul

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2020-07-16

I can reproduce Paul's observations and would like to add that this Caps Lock warning is displayed by Windows/.NET, not by KeePass itself. I've experimented a bit, but didn't find any workaround, sorry. If anyone has an idea, please tell!

Thanks and best regards,
    Dominik