Menu

different groups displaying different columns

2013-11-18
2021-11-11
  • Ross Warner

Ross Warner - 2013-11-18

Is it possible to get different Groups to display different columns?
    i.e. Group1 displays columns A,B,D,E
    and Group2 displays columns A,B,F,G,H

ver 2.23

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-11-18

No, the columns displayed is a property of the Workspace.

• Zxurian

Zxurian - 2014-02-05

actually interested in this as well. Is there an extension that can enable this?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-02-05

What are your expectations for the display of search results?

• Paul

Paul - 2014-02-05

You could try the KPEnhancedEntryView plug-in. It's not quite what you want but it does show all of the fields in an entry in one place.

cheers, Paul

• Zxurian

Zxurian - 2014-02-06

My expectations would be a per-group configure column setting, falling back to the global column setting if one isn't defined.

You can goto View -> Configure Columns to decide what the default columns are.
    If you goto a group's properties, you would be able to set what columns are displayed when looking specifically at that group.

Ex. I have a group for my SQL connection info, and I have a group for my Internet logins.
    Internet group would show title, url, username, & password
    SQL group would instead show title, username, host, address, port

• Horst

Horst - 2014-02-07

Use the plugin "Entry Templates for KeePass"
      That allows you to make/use different templates for every new entry.
      Typically its used to make templates for Credit card data
      but I think it may also fit your need.
      Unfortunately your current entries will not be automatically shown in this format.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-02-06

Column view is per KeePass configuration, not per group. Making it per group would require the window details be stored in the database and there is no provision for that at present.

cheers, Paul

• T A

T A - 2021-02-17

Hi Paul, to prevent having to alter the database format, which I can imagine is difficult, why not add workspace configuration which stores column configuration by folder using some kind of a "dictionary" (hashtable)? For example, "/Internet" -> [ "C1", "C2" ]

• Dawid Ferenczy

Dawid Ferenczy - 2021-11-11

There's a tab Plugin Data on the Group Edit dialog, so plugins should be able to store (some kind of) its custom data on each group, I guess.

Last edit: Dawid Ferenczy 2021-11-11
  • Zxurian

Zxurian - 2014-02-07

thanks for the explanation. Is this something that could be added via plugin? or would it require a core rewrite of the basic operations?

• Paul

Paul - 2014-02-07

I'm sure you could do it in a plug-in, maybe storing the settings in an entry in each group.

cheers, Paul

• Zxurian

Zxurian - 2014-02-14

guess it's time to start reading up on how to design a keepass plugin

• T A

T A - 2021-02-17

Bump - this would be an extremely useful feature! Can I assist in developing it?

• Rookiestyle

Rookiestyle - 2021-11-11

As Zxurian did not come back, I guess Can I assist in developing it is the same as Can I develop a plugin for that?

The answer to that is Feel free to do so :)

Some things to consider from my point of view
    Don't forget to add an option to remove group specific columns
    There are virtual groups like search results that may show entries from different groups with different group specific columns
    What about inheritance, e. g. group 1.1 is a subfolder of group 1 and by that inherits the columns defined in group 1?
    Somehow integrate the View - Configure Columns... form