Menu

Comparison of KeePass versions for iPhone/iPad?

2012-11-29
2014-05-01
  • Steve Rothman

Steve Rothman - 2012-11-29

There are now several apps for iOS devices that claim at least some level support for KeePass databases in Apple's App Store:

• MiniKeePass
    • iKeyPass (the first on iPhone I think?)
    • KyPass
    • SyncPass
    • PassDrop
    • MyKeePass
    • myLogins

Is there anywhere a chart to compare these? I have looked at a few, some are free, some cost $$, some only work with v1 db and some work with v1 or v2, some can work with a db on DropBox, etc. A lot of differences, not to mention how well they work and if there are any security issues with them. Anyway, is there an up-to-date comparison anywhere?

Thanks!

• Steve Rothman

Steve Rothman - 2012-11-29

Well, I started doing some investigating...

First off, take MyKeePass and myLogins off the list, I think they are both abandoned (not updated for over a year).

But that still leaves five... Although it turns out that KyPass comes in a "pro" version so I guess that makes six

• MiniKeePass
    • iKeyPass
    • KyPass
    • KyPass Pro
    • SyncPass
    • PassDrop

Any others? Any reasons to especially favor or avoid any of these? Thanks. -Steve

• Paul

Paul - 2012-11-30

You are the first that I know of to do any sort of comparison. Are you able to do a bit more for us, like which ones are open source, paid etc? I will do a simple chart of the major differences on the wiki page here if someone is able to provide some detail - I don't have an iphone.

cheers, Paul

• Paul

Paul - 2012-11-30

mylogins, is import / export to CSV only, not database compatible as far as I can tell.

cheers, Paul

• Steve Rothman

Steve Rothman - 2012-11-30

I just tossed together a real quick half-baked site with a comparison:

http://keepios.wordpress.com/

I intend to add more stuff to it - but you are 100% welcome to put any of it on the KeePass wiki or wherever...

Send me any updates you have, and I'll try to included them.

• Paul

Paul - 2012-12-01

Very nice.
    I suggest you add a database version compatibility column and one for open source/proprietary.

MiniKeePass = V1 & V2 DB
    iKeePass = V1 & V2 DB
    Kypass = V2 DB
    SyncPass = V1 & V2 DB
    PassDrops = V1 DB
    MyKeePass = import / export V1 DB, import V2 DB
    myLogins = import V1 DB, export CSV

cheers, Paul

• Steve Rothman

Steve Rothman - 2012-12-03

Thanks! I added the info, although not by adding more columns - the WP site I am using is restricted in width. So I am stating what I think most of the products have, and then just listing exceptions in the comments for now. More updates appreciated! I think I will write to the app authors and let them know this page exists.

• Tim Franklin

Tim Franklin - 2014-04-16

I looks to me as a newbie that SyncPass would be the most complete product in that it AUTO save changes to the DB in Dropbox.

Has anyone used SyncPass and enjoyed it or moved on to something else?

• Curtiss Grymala

Curtiss Grymala - 2014-04-29

Thanks for putting that comparison together. Is there any chance you can expand upon the chart a little bit to specify what services (other than Dropbox) each one supports? It would be nice to find apps that support OneDrive/SkyDrive and Google Docs (or even WebDAV and FTP protocols).

I don't keep my password database in Dropbox, because the sharing can be a little wonky at times (it's tough to make the file itself available to open without making it publicly accessible), so I prefer to use other services to store/sync my password DB across devices.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-05-01

Try TeamDrive instead of Dropbox.

cheers, Paul