Menu

auto-type, add to 'perform-auto-type' list?

aozaozaoz
2024-06-29
2024-07-02
  • aozaozaoz

aozaozaoz - 2024-06-29

in entries, right click, and have option of "PERFORM AUTO TYPE".
    I have a new field created, "PASSWORD_OLD". Is there a way to add a line that indicates to
    auto-type {password_old}?, so that for any of my entries, if i right click on the entry, this line would show up in the "perform auto type" list? I can't find how to add custom typing strings to this list
    thanks

• Paul

Paul - 2024-06-29

The KeePassEnhancedEntryView plug-in shows additional fields in the entry view and allows you to Auto-Type them by right click.
    https://keepass.info/plugins.html#kpenhentryview

cheers, Paul

• Paul

Paul - 2024-06-29

p.s. You need to set View > Window Layout > Side by Side

• aozaozaoz

aozaozaoz - 2024-06-30

so with that plug in, if i have the additional field of "Password_OLD", and i right click, i'd get this attached view (or similar?)

• Paul

Paul - 2024-06-30

Right click on the field name.

cheers, Paul

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2024-07-01

i'd get this attached view (or similar?)

Not exactly; what you get are clickable fields in the right (formerly bottom) pane for every field in the currently selected entry. A right-click on any of them will offer "Auto-Type {field name}" as an option; Ctrl-V when the field is highlighted here will do the same.

(AFAIK, there is no plugin that will modify the list of "additional auto-type commands" directly.)

• aozaozaoz

aozaozaoz - 2024-07-01

T.bug, thanks for reply. Paul, thanks also. T.bug, that is what i am trying to do, ADD my field to that list, so that anytime i would select the "perform auto-type" showing the list view, my field of "passowrd_old" would come up. Paul indicated about the plugin, but i don't know (haven't tried yet) to see if it ADDS my field to the list.

Scenario
      websites want passwords changed. I created "password_old". Prior to logging on to a website,
      I COPY my current password to "password_OLD".
      i THEN create new password

then, in logging on, i can copy my USER name, and then in the password field
      auto-type "Passowrd_old".
      then go oinline, edit the passowrds, and usually they ask for current password
      I can again auto-type "password_old"
      then i add the new (current) password

then, next time i log in, i can use my DEFAULT auto-type button, that is set to do the
      "username"-time-delay-"password"

I don't want to include the "password_OLD" in the DEFAULT auto-type for that entry, because it is only used about every 6 month or so, and is not the default

I am going to try paul's plugin suggestion, but in looking at the website, i don't think that it ADDS it to that default list.

I checked the config.xml file, and can't find the default strings in there...

anyway, it is easy to get the password_old from
      Entry - Right click - Other data - Copy "Password_OLD", so rather than adding another plugin, i just may use that method; i just wanted to see if it could be done in the auto-type

• Horst

Horst - 2024-07-01

You may have a look on the PasswordChangeAssistant plugin.

• caspadan

caspadan - 2024-07-02

What you are looking for essentially is what Horst has suggested. PasswordChangeAssistant.
    As Paul suggested KPEnhacedEntryView is able to auto-type any of the fields but it does not add it to the list you want. Either way, it's a nice plugin to use.
    I've attached screenshots of both if you haven't tried them yet.

Last edit: caspadan 2024-07-02
  • aozaozaoz

aozaozaoz - 2024-07-02

Caspadan,
    thanks for reply.
    after reviewing both options, i believe i will just continue with my method, of using my field of "Password_OLD", copying my prior password into that field, then generate new password, and just use the COPY option for that "password_old" field.
    the PasswordChangeAssistant looks promising, but i really don't have that many more steps, and my method accomplishes the goal i need (having old/new password), and it Would be great if it WERE in the auto-type field, but since the "password_OLD" does show up in the COPY field, it's no sense for me to add yet another item to the base program.
    again, htanks to everyone !
    nick