Menu

Can different groups have different field displays set up?

ohayou
2023-03-17
2023-03-20
  • ohayou

ohayou - 2023-03-17

Hi

Currently, field settings can only be set up for all groups and cannot be customized for each individual group.
    May I know if the current version of KeePass, version 2.53 (2.53.1), has this feature? If not, is it possible to add this feature in future versions?

I really love using your software.

• Paul

Paul - 2023-03-17

No, this cannot be done because the fields are defined per entry.
    You can setup templates that you can use to create entries.
    https://keepass.info/help/v2/dbsettings.html#templates

You can also try the KPEntryTemplates plug-in: https://keepass.info/plugins.html#kpentrytemplates

cheers, Paul

Last edit: Paul 2023-03-17
  • ohayou

ohayou - 2023-03-19

Thank you for your response.

I see, what I mentioned earlier was not about adding fields to the form.(I mean the list)

I understand that the structure of a database is influenced by the overall architecture of its tables, and that in order to meet my requirements, each group would need to have its own dedicated table.

In displaying a list view, we can present different columns depending on the group being viewed.

For example:
    All columns in the list view.
    c1,c2,c3,c4,c5,c6,c7,c8,c9,c10

Group 1 : c1,c4,c6,c7
    Group 2 : c3,c3,c7,c9,c10
    Group 3 : c2,c3,c4,c8

By setting which columns to display and which ones to hide for each group, we can achieve a customized list view for each group.

This will not affect the existing database structure in KeePass. It's similar to how groups can customize icons, we would just be adding a field for displaying column settings.

I believe this is a relatively easy feature to implement and I hope you will consider it.

Thank you!

• Paul

Paul - 2023-03-19

It will affect the structure / data because you would need to store the column data with each group inside the database.

You can work around this at present by using the KeePassEnhancedEntryView plug-in.

cheers, Paul

• ohayou

ohayou - 2023-03-20

( ˘ ³˘)❤ Thanks again for your reply

The KPEnhancedEntryView plugin you suggested is not what I want. (There is no way to set the group individual list at all)

KeePass can already add or edit groups, but it is a pity that you cannot customize the group list display.

I have also been dealing with database programs for quite a long time. If you don’t want to add a new database field to store this group display setting, just find one in the existing group field to add this setting value and hide it. . (Group Notes field would be nice too)

I believe that this feature is very eager for KeePass fans.

Hope, you can adopt!

Thanks again for developing such a great software. ლ(´◉❥◉`ლ)

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2023-03-20

I believe I understand what you want: you want the Main Entry List to reconfigure itself based on which group you are currently viewing. This has been suggested several times before, but the KeePass author either doesn't see this as important enough to write the code for it himself, or sees it as too difficult to implement to justify the effort - and no one else has volunteered to implement the feature as a plugin, so if you can't find someone willing to program this feature into KeePass (or, more likely, as a plugin), I'm afraid you're out of luck.