Menu

Toolbar resizes when focus moves from search box to entries

Grindax
2014-07-22
2014-08-05
  • Grindax

Grindax - 2014-07-22

On my Win 8.1 PC, where I'm using KeePass with mostly default settings, one option I have enabled is for the search box to automatically get focus when restoring from tray/taskbar.

I notice that when the search box has focus, if I then click on one of the entries in the tree on the left side, the toolbar (that contains the search box) automatically resizes itself, to become smaller (a couple of pixels less tall).

This repeats every time I restore the application window.

• Glenn

Glenn - 2014-07-22

Did you try Tools > Options > Interface and uncheck "Automatically resize entry list columns when resizing the main menu" ?

• Grindax

Grindax - 2014-07-22

That setting is for something else. I'm referring to the toolbar.

• Glenn

Glenn - 2014-07-24

Sorry I can't recreate it since I'm on not on 8.1. Maybe someone else who is on 8.1 can chime in.

• Grindax

Grindax - 2014-07-29

Dominik, do you think it's fixable? I know it's only a minor issue.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2014-07-29

I can neither reproduce this (on Windows 8.1) nor imagine what could be causing it on your system (KeePass does not resize the toolbar itself), sorry.

Maybe it has to do with DPI scaling (but I doubt it); you could try
    https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/discussion/329220/thread/06ef4466/

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Grindax

Grindax - 2014-07-29

Actually, I think the issue is more to do with moving from the top-level of the folder hierarchy to subfolders, and vice versa. I've just done another test by extracting the portable version of v2.27 into a Win 8 virtual machine and enabling these options:

Close button [X] minimizes main window
    Minimize to tray instead of taskbar
    Focus quick search box when restoring from taskbar

Then I made a video of the issue I'm seeing. Notice that at the beginning of the video I navigate from one of the folders up to the top level. At this point, the toolbar resizes. Then I click 'X' to minimize KeePass and then I restore it from the tray. Then I navigate from the top level to one of the subfolders. Again, the toolbar resizes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygdn4nevq4s5zzc/toolbar_resize.wmv

• Grindax

Grindax - 2014-07-30

Dominik, was my video helpful? It's on a fresh Windows 8 installation, so there's nothing particular about the machine. Also, it matches what happens on the physical host where I first noticed the problem.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2014-07-30

Yes, I can reproduce the issue now, thanks. I've added it to my to-do list.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2014-08-01

This seems to be a bug in the .NET framework. When minimizing to tray, .NET slightly increases the height of the toolbar for no apparent reason. I've now added code such that KeePass sets the height of the toolbar to its original value again when restoring from tray.

Here's the latest development snapshot for testing:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_140801b.zip

Thanks and best regards,
    Dominik

• Grindax

Grindax - 2014-08-01

Thanks for the update Dominik. Looks good in the development snapshot.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-08-03

Hi Dominik,

I'm playing with this development snapshot and noticed a few gui issues. I've added attachments below. The first is from the autotype screen. The second is from the DBBackup plugin so it's probably not something for you to address but I thought I'd point it out. Some of the boxes are not sized/expanded correctly.

Last edit: Anonymous 2014-08-03
  • Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2014-08-04

Thanks for testing it!

Plugins like DataBaseBackup must enhance DPI support on their own.

Unfortunately I cannot do anything in KeePass to automatically add enhanced DPI support for plugins. Windows enforces applications to declare DPI support for each process, i.e. either the whole KeePass application (including plugins) supports DPI, or DPI support is turned off for the whole application.

The controls in the first screenshot aren't part of KeePass. You must have another plugin installed, which creates these controls.

Maybe it would be a good idea if I'd test all plugins and notify the developers, such that they can enhance their plugins before the KeePass 2.28 release.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Horst

Horst - 2014-08-04

His first screenshot is from WebAutoType plugin.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2014-08-04

I've notified all plugin developers now, such that they can update their plugins to support high DPI, too.

Thanks and best regards,
    Dominik

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2014-08-05

His first screenshot is from WebAutoType plugin

... and the second is from the DataBaseBackup plugin.

(Just FYI - don't want anyone else confusing this plugin with the similarly named V1 "DB_Backup" plugin.)

Last edit: T. Bug Reporter 2014-08-05