Menu

Feature Request : Trigger "Executing Built-in KeePass Commands"

2024-06-25
2024-07-26
  • Régis De Nice

Régis De Nice - 2024-06-25

Hello all,

Thanks for the amazing job each contributor does.

I am missing a trigger that could be called "Executing Built-in KeePass Commands" that would execute KeePass GUI Command.

I use Keepass (v2.54 portable version) with multiple plugins (such as VeraCrypt Mount or KeeAgent).

The current KeePass2 Triggers support multiple Actions.

As a frequent KeePass user, in order to make KeePass perform manual actions, I would need a way to reproduce repetitive actions in KeePass. I would like to have a trigger action called "Executing Built-in KeePass Commands" that enable me to tell KeePass what to do.

Examples :
    1) KeePass > Find > "Last Modifies Entries..."
    2) KeePass > Select Entry with uuid:xxx > right click > "Mount Volume"
    3) KeePass > Help > Donate...

In more details:

• Example 1 : each time I open my database, in order to check last password changed with KeePass > Find > "Last Modified Entries...". I would like this result to be displayed automatically, without my manual action. How to find the last modified entries?"
    • Example 2 : I would like to auto-mount a VeraCrypt volume each time I open my database. Even though I read "automount truecrypt volume at startup with keepass" thread, (and "Mount a truecrypt file with keepass"). I have not been able to do it using "customer fields" used by the "VeraCrypt Mount" plugin (because the code "O" can't be used as WantedField). Hence, each time I open my database with the "VeraCrypt Mount" plugin, I have to right-click on a certain entry to activate the "Mount" action.

What do you think ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

• Paul

Paul - 2024-06-26

2 - This is really a change in the plug-in, not KeePass. A mount on startup option would work.

cheers, Paul

Last edit: Paul 2024-06-27
  • Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2024-06-27

This is an interesting idea, but it would be difficult to make it work reliably with all commands in all situations.

Your example 1 can already be realized. You could add a trigger with the event 'Opened database file' and two actions: 'Wait' shortly (e.g. 500 ms) and 'Execute command line / URL' with 'File/URL' set to 'PowerShell.exe' (without the quotes) and 'Arguments' set to this:
    -Command "Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms; [System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait('%im')"
    (this simulates keypresses: Alt+I opens the 'Find' menu and M executes the 'Last Modified Entries' menu command). Furthermore, set 'Window style' to 'Hidden' (otherwise the PowerShell window receives the keypresses).

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Régis De Nice

Régis De Nice - 2024-06-28

Thank you Paul and Dominik for your quick feedback.

Thank you Dominik, your trick for my Example 1 works with SendWait('%im').

I am stuck in selecting an entry with my Example 2.

I hope finding help again O:)

• I would like to send : Alt-i > F > veracrypt > ENTER > right-click > M > M
    • but I manage only to send: Alt-i > F > veracrypt > ENTER with this code: SendWait('%ifveracrypt{ENTER}')
    • The SendWait('{MENU}') (right-click) goes nowhere

I tried many key combinations (that work manually), but none works with SendWait():

• SendWait('^fveracrypt{ENTER}') to simulate Ctrl-F > veracrypt > ENTER
      --> this open a Find window but return nothing, like if it was looking in an empty database
    • SendWait('{TAB}{TAB}{ENTER}') to simulate TAB > TAB > ENTER
      --> nothing happens

Please, would somebody have an idea how to "select an entry" (in order to send keys to it) ?

Note : I do not know anything about PowerShell (mine is 1.0 on a win7 x64) nor .NET Windows API (my .NET is 4.8)

Keys I collected that works with SendWait():

Key Code Source
    SHIFT + SendKeys Class
    CTRL ^ SendKeys Class
    ALT % SendKeys Class
    WINDOWS ^{ESC} Winbatch: "Windows Keys with SendKey"
    Right-click {MENU} StackOverFlow: "Right click with SendKeys in .NET"

Last edit: Régis De Nice 2024-06-28
  • Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2024-06-28

Searching takes a few milliseconds, so you need to wait (you may also need to wait when a dialog opens, etc.). For waiting in PowerShell, there's the Start-Sleep command. For example, Start-Sleep -Seconds 1 waits one second.

In my previous post, I mentioned to start with a 'Wait' trigger action. Actually, waiting in PowerShell with Start-Sleep is even better.

{MENU} does not exist. In order to open the context menu, you could send Shift+F10, i.e. +{F10}. All key codes that the SendKeys class supports are documented here:
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.windows.forms.sendkeys

For example, the following performs a search and opens the context menu:
    Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms; Start-Sleep -Milliseconds 500; [System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait('^fveracrypt{ENTER}'); Start-Sleep -Seconds 1; [System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait('+{F10}')

Depending on how long the operations take, a longer delay might be necessary (e.g. if you have a very large database, causing the search to take longer than 1 second).

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2024-06-28

Of course, with -Command "..." around the whole example.

If your script gets more complicated, consider to write a PS1 script file and run that with PowerShell, instead of putting everything into one command line.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• Régis De Nice

Régis De Nice - 2024-07-25

This works great, thank you @dreichl 🙂 👍

Last edit: Régis De Nice 2024-07-26
  • Régis De Nice

Régis De Nice - 2024-07-26

I share my triggers :

1) VeraCrypt Mount Button
    2) VeraCrypt AutoMount [1] (when opening a specific database)
    3) Display Last Entries [1] (when opening any database)
    4) VeraCrypt AutoMount & Last Modified Entries [1] (when opening a specific database)

[1] those triggers are not compatible together, use only one of them

Edit: I put then in the attached file (rather than in plain text)

Cheers, Regis

Last edit: Régis De Nice 2024-07-27