Menu

roboform to keepass - error: object reference not set

drufus2002
2014-08-18
2014-08-31
  • drufus2002

drufus2002 - 2014-08-18

I am running with ubuntu 14.04 and keepass 2.27 I have converted my logins and identity files to .htm files and can access them in firefox. I have read a number of topics on this subject but I could find no solution. My question is pretty simple; I there a solution?

Thank you........

• Paul

Paul - 2014-08-19

I haven't seen any errors like that in reports of Roboform import problems, they are usually format issues. I suspect it is a Linux / mono issue and importing in Windows may work.

cheers, Paul

• drufus2002

drufus2002 - 2014-08-19

Thank you for the reply.

I think I didn't properly explain. I goto keepass/files/import and choose the roboform option. I then choose the file to import (logins1.htm) It whirrs a little bit and then I get "object record not set to an instance of an object", when I press "OK" the screen returns to what it was, when I started the program. I have attached a picture of my desktop and what I am trying to say.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2014-08-20

Like Paul guessed, this is caused by a Mono bug. My suggestion would be to use KeePass on Windows or Wine to migrate the data.

Best regards,
    Dominik

• drufus2002

drufus2002 - 2014-08-20

Thanks for the replies.

I think what you are telling me is to install keepass, on a windows machine, migrate the data, on that machine, and then move the data to a linux machine? If I do that, can I simply copy the .kbdx and .key files, and paste them to the linux machine?

Thank you........

• Paul

Paul - 2014-08-21

Yes, the KDBX file is all you require.
    I wouldn't use a key file for the initial import, wait until you have it running happily on your Linux box, then after backing up your database, create a key file.

cheers, Paul

• drufus2002

drufus2002 - 2014-08-21

I just want to thank one and all for the help!! Thank you!

• drufus2002

drufus2002 - 2014-08-25

Yet another problem. I removed all of keepass and then reinstalled. I then moved the kdbx file, created on the windows machine (no problem there), to the linux machine. Then, when starting up I got Failed to load specific file and composit key is invalid, etc. I suspect I am going to have to physically edit a setup/config file but I have no idea where, or the name of, that file.

Thoughts?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-08-25

Failed to load specified file!
    The composite key is invalid!

Means you have entered the wrong Master Key. It is not a setup/configuration issue.

• Make sure you are trying to open the correct database.
    • Verify that you have entered the password correctly by pressing the reveal password button "..." to the right of the password field as you type it.
    • If you used a key file, make sure that you have supplied it.
    • If the database was linked to the Windows User Account, the Master Key must be changed to un-link it, before you move the database.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-08-25
  • drufus2002

drufus2002 - 2014-08-28

Thank you for the reply - I thought I had replied to this and it just may be in holding until OK'd but, just in case I will respond again:

I have already done as you suggested to no avail. My problem is that it seems to think I still have a .key file, its not there. Here is what I did.

I removed keepass (with synaptic)
    I deleted the .kdbx file
    I deleted the .key file
    I then reinstalled keepass (v2.27)
    I have a .htm file (converted from windows roboform)
    To get keepass to do anything I must create a new database file.
    After that I import the .htm file, the import does its thing and everything is in keepass.
    Then I stop keypass and try to go back in and I get the error. The program also creates a new .key file although I didn't ask it to.
    The program is behaving as if its got a config file lurking out there that I didn't remove.

You also mentioned: If the database was linked to the Windows User Account, the Master Key must be changed to un-link it,

That is probably true although the master key, on both, are exactly the same. I have no idea how to un-link the database. The keepass database was created new and data was imported so I am not sure about the windows linkage.

Thoughts?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-08-29

...[KeePass] seems to think I still have a .key file, its not there.

If the Master Key for the database does not include a key file, then un-check the key file box in the "Enter Master Key" dialog.

KeePass remembers the "key sources" for a database from the last successful database opening. However, if you change the database's Master Key behind KeePass' back (e.g. on another computer) KeePass won't know that the key sources have changed. In this situation you need to enter the correct Master Key, not what KeePass is prompting for.

The program also creates a new .key file although I didn't ask it to.

Not true. KeePass will not create a key file unless you check the key file box when you create or change a Master Key. Likewise the Windows User Account link.

I have no idea how to un-link the database [from the Windows User Account].

The Window User Account link is part of the Master Key. It is changed during the Change/Create Master Key procedure (File>Change Master Key...) by checking the appropriate box.

I am not entirely clear what your current situation is. However, the error message still means you are entering the wrong Master Key. If you can't figure out what the correct Master Key is, and you are back working on Linux, you will need to:

1. Go back to Windows.
    2. Create a new database whose Master Key consists of only a password,
    3. Re-import the roboform passwords.
    4. Save the database.
    5. Verify the database can be opened and that it contains the imported passwords by opening it using only a password and inspecting its contents.
    6. Only after successfully verifying the database on windows, copy it to your linux computer.

Notes:

If you want KeePass to forget the recently opened database(s). In KeePass select File>Open Recent>Clear List

I also recommend that you move all non-working KeePass databases and key files to a JUNK folder to reduce confusion until you are in a position to permanently delete them.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-08-29
  • drufus2002

drufus2002 - 2014-08-31

Thanks for the help and reply.

Here is what I did.
    Went to the windows machine and deleted the current kbdx file
    opened keepass, ignored the missing file thing and created new key file.
    then I imported the roboform htm file
    Oh, also made sure I was only using a password and nothing else
    importation worked fine
    closed and re-opened keepath to see if I could open with simple password (I could)
    shut down keepath and copied the kbdx file to thumb drive
    went to linux machine and deleted existing kbdx file
    inserted the thumb drive
    copied the new kbdx file to my home directory
    opened keypass (ignored missing file thing)
    went to file/open and opened the new kbdx file in my home directory
    everything looked dandy - shut down keepath
    re-opened keypath and it seems to be working.

Thanks again! Now all I have to do is figure out backup and plugins and I will have it!

Last edit: drufus2002 2014-08-31