Menu

Parameter is not valid..

Help
2013-10-11
2014-02-19
  • Michael Erana

Michael Erana - 2013-10-11

Hi.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot this issue?

I get this error screen from the plug-in with the following content:

Download error

Could not download favicon(s). This may be a temporary problem so you may want to try again later or post the contents of this error message on the KeePass Favicon Download forums at http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass-favicon/support. Technical information which may help diagnose the problem is listed below, you can copy it to your clipboard by just clicking on this message and pressing CTRL-C.
    Timeout: The operation has timed out: Could not download favicon(s). This may be a temporary problem so you may want to try again later or post the contents of this error message on the KeePass Favicon Download forums at http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass-favicon/support. Technical information which may help diagnose the problem is listed below, you can copy it to your clipboard by just clicking on this message and pressing CTRL-C.
    Parameter is not valid..

OK

Internet connectivity is working with no intervening proxy. Is there a log file or debug option I can set to narrow down the issue?

Thanks in Advance

• SJT

SJT - 2013-12-11

Hi, after working OK for a few days I now get the error message :

Could not download favicon(s). This may be a temporary problem so you may want to try again later or post the contents of this error message on the KeePass Favicon Download forums at http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass-favicon/support. Technical information which may help diagnose the problem is listed below, you can copy it to your clipboard by just clicking on this message and pressing CTRL-C.
      Parameter is not valid..

Any suggestions ?

• Luckyrat

Luckyrat - 2014-02-19

There isn't any debug or log file option. If you need to debug a problem with a specific site, the only option is to either do it yourself using the source code and a .NET debugger or post the details of the problematic site here so that someone else (probably me) can do that for you when time allows.

This particular problem is a timeout so it would generally be a problem with the website itself and not something that can be fixed by us. If the problem hasn't resolved itself by now, it is possible that the site is configured incorrectly.

The other possibility is that the site decides to block our request for the favicon for some strange reason. An upcoming version of KeePass favicon downloader will include a new feature to try to trick websites into thinking we are just a standard web browser - I've never seen a need for this in practice but it's possible you've found one here.

• SJT

SJT - 2013-12-14

Hi, I think I may have solved my own query. Looking at my Internet Explorer favourites list, the URL's where this "Parameter is not valid..." error message shoes don't seem to have their own bespoke icon. So it seems this error message may show where there is no url bespoke icon.

If this is the case, perhaps the Favicon downloader code could be tweaked to return a specific message rather than a generic error messages in these circumstances.

• Luckyrat

Luckyrat - 2014-02-19

"Parameter is not valid" alongside a site that does not display a valid favicon in a web browser might indicate that the site is serving an icon but that it is broken. There's not really much more we can do about that because there could be multiple reasons for the error.

In general, you should just ignore any errors for sites in which you can't see a valid favicon in your web browser - in most cases you won't even see an error message.