Menu

initial login

Help
2023-12-05
2023-12-07
  • Robert Sedaker

Robert Sedaker - 2023-12-05

I have installed this from an iso file. after creating my username and password it doesn't accept my login. I have reinstalled several times with different complexities of passwords and still cannot log on.

HELP!!!

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2023-12-05

On 12/4/23 10:27PM, Robert Sedaker wrote:

I have installed this from an iso file. after creating my username and password
      it doesn't accept my login. I have reinstalled several times with different
      complexities of passwords and still cannot log on.

HELP!!!

You quite probably did not read the GETTING STARTED document:
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/files/v25a/GETTING_STARTED

Andy

--
      Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)

• Bob Albers

Bob Albers - 2023-12-05

I had the same problem with 3 recent installs. I used the xubuntu login, no password, then created my account with the GUI users tool. Not sure why, but the written directions don't seem to work.

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2023-12-05

On 12/5/23 11:28AM, Bob Albers wrote:

I had the same problem with 3 recent installs. I used the xubuntu login, no
      password, then created my account with the GUI users tool. Not sure why, but
      the written directions don't seem to work.

Hi Bob,

Many, many people, myself included, have followed the GETTING_STARTED guide
      with no issues. You're the first person that has said that the "written
      directions don't seem to work".

Please elaborate - precisely what did not work? Are you certain that you
      followed each instruction? Mostly, folks think they did, but in fact did not.

Andy

--
      Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)

• Bob Albers

Bob Albers - 2023-12-06

Hi Andy,

I reinstalled again from scratch to be sure I could describe the issues correctly.
    Step 2: The iso is not corrupt.
    Step 4: I used Rufus on W10.
    Step 7a: I chose Install Xubuntu.
    Step 10: Erase disk...
    At this point the install script prompts for timezone: I chose CST (Chicago)
    Next it asks "Who are you?" and demands name and password info. Is this something that can/should be skipped? Whatever account that is created here doesn't seem to exist upon reboot. What should the user do at this point? It's confusing at best.
    Step 11: Removed USB and clicked reboot button. Unit comes up and displays error messages and halts. Power cycle fixes problem. When should the USB be removed?
    Step 12: At this point, in the past I made the mistake of trying to login with the account that was presumably made by the install script. This should be addressed in step 10 or here. Log in with default xubuntu account works.
    Step 13b: works
    Step 13c: warns "there is still a process running"
    Step 13g: Open Terminal should be noted first. deluser xubuntu warns "user xubuntu is currently used by process 1197" Also warns " /sbin/deluser xubuntu returned error code 8. Exiting."

Bottom line sources of confusion
    1: user password prompt - need clarification here
    2: when to remove USB - should be noted
    3: warning messages - ignore?

Otherwise smooth sailing.

Thanks & 73
    Bob AB4OB

• Bob Albers

Bob Albers - 2023-12-07

Tried again on a different machine. Left USB inserted when clicking reboot button. Threw a bunch of errors and hung on restart. Removed USB & power cycle brought it back. Otherwise the same.

• Bob Albers

Bob Albers - 2023-12-07

Loaded two more machines by the book. On Dell leaving the USB in worked fine and after boot I was prompted to remove it! On Toshiba leaving in or removing it before boot led to error messages and system hang. Cured by power cycle.

Installation success is highly dependent on BIOS settings.
    - I had to disable secure boot to use the USB. After install I could use secure boot for HD boot with no issues.
    - On Toshiba units I also had to disable USB3 and enable USB legacy support to obtain USB boot. That was surprising since I had a USB3 drive and legacy support is supposed to be only for OS that don't support USB. USB3 back on & legacy support back off works fine for HD boot.

Now on to exploring the programs. 3 units ready for donation to Panama City ARC.

Thanks & 73
    Bob AB4OB