Menu

USB to Serial Adapter Not Working

2020-01-09
2020-07-16
  • Carl B. Rayman

Carl B. Rayman - 2020-01-09

USB connection to radio does not function in Fldigi, QSSTV or WSJT-X in V22b. It works perfectly in V17 with same cable on same computer. I get the message: "HamLib: IO error in opening connection to radio. Check read/write permissions.", when starting WSJT-X and serial PTT connection does not work. I have checked permissions where I could find them with no success. I have run dmesg and lsusb and find cable is there and activated to "ttyUSB0", but still no function. Any Help ?............................Carl, WA0RLY

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2020-01-12

Carl: Are you a member of the dialout group? Does it work when you are root? Are you sure that the device is actually at /dev/ttyUSB0 and not USB1?

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Carl B. Rayman

Carl B. Rayman - 2020-01-13

Hello Andy,
      Mon.Jan.13,2020
      I found your post on the "dialout group" and that worked ! WSJT-X and QSSTV function now. It
      also worked in Puppy Linux for getting the T/R button to work in Fldigi in the Windows
      Emulator(WINE). Excellent compilation of Ubuntu, Andy ! I use it for Fldigi emergency comms
      practice nets and find it to be better than Windows because it is stable. Settings stay the same, so my
      machine works when others are suffering from Windows Updates. The shutdown Logout is good so
      that the computer would stay running in an EOC if unauthorized persons tried to stop Fldigi message
      traffic. Thank You for a fine dependable OS with apps.......73s and Best
      DX !........................................................Carl, WA0RLY

On 01/12/2020 12:56 PM, Andy Stewart wrote:

Carl: Are you a member of the dialout group? Does it work when you are root? Are you sure that the device is actually at /dev/ttyUSB0 and not USB1?

Andy
      KB1OIQ

USB to Serial Adapter Not Workinghttps://sourceforge.net/p/kb1oiq-andysham/discussion/1789006/thread/f6d5f73cbf/?limit=25#0a9d

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/kb1oiq-andysham/discussion/1789006/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Carl B. Rayman

Carl B. Rayman - 2020-01-13

Hello Andy, Mon.Jan.13,2020
    I found your post on the "dialout group" and that worked ! WSJT-X and QSSTV function now. It also worked in Puppy Linux for getting the T/R button to work in Fldigi in the Windows Emulator(WINE). Excellent compilation of Ubuntu, Andy ! I use it for Fldigi emergency comms practice nets and find it to be better than Windows because it is stable. Settings stay the same, so my machine works when others are suffering from Windows Updates. The shutdown Logout is good so that the computer would stay running in an EOC if unauthorized persons tried to stop Fldigi message traffic. Thank You for a fine dependable OS with apps.......73s and Best DX !........................................................Carl, WA0RLY

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2020-01-13

Hi Carl,

I'm glad that this information helped you to get things working correctly. Many thanks for your kind words.

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• justinas

justinas - 2020-07-10

Hi Andy
    NOT SAVE USB-SERIAL CH340 driver .Tthe computershuts down ehen four met off .THANK YUO. JUSTAS.

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2020-07-16

Hi Justinas,

To say "not working" is not helpful. WHAT isn't working?

Did you try what I suggested?
    Which step in that process failed?
    Did you verify that the driver is loaded?
    Did you verify that your device is seen by the kernel after you plug it in?
    Were there any error messages?
    Did you do a Google search for more information?

Andy
    KB1OIQ