Menu

Installing into VM using Hyper-v

2023-12-20
2023-12-22
  • Alan Lovejoy

Alan Lovejoy - 2023-12-20

Trying to get it installed into a VM using Hyper-v on a Win11Pro pc. All goes well until it finishes installing and reboots. After rebooting it shows a black screen with Andy's Ham Radio Linus in white letters and then does nothing. The Virtual Machine Connection says it running but nothing ever happens. No errors anywhere.

I've install both Ubuntu and Mint in VM's in Hyper-v and didn't have any problems.

• Alan Lovejoy

Alan Lovejoy - 2023-12-21

Update. Can't get it to install in VirtualBox either. After creating a new VM in Virtualbox and clicking on the Finish button, Virtualbox locks up. I have to end the task in Task Manager, and like before I can install Ubuntu and Mint in Virtualbox without any problems.

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2023-12-21

On 12/21/23 05:15AM, Alan Lovejoy wrote:

Update. Can't get it to install in VirtualBox either. After creating a new VM
      in Virtualbox and clicking on the Finish button, Virtualbox locks up. I have to
      end the task in Task Manager, and like before I can install Ubuntu and Mint in
      Virtualbox without any problems.

Hi Alan,

I have installed AHRL many times in Virtualbox on a Linux host. I don't use
      Windoze so I can't test it.

It might be the settings that are causing a problem.
      Here's my setup, and yes, your mileage may vary:

• Virtualbox 6.1.34 on an Ubuntu 22.04 host
      • Base memory 4GB
      • Processors = 1
      • Chipset PIIX3
      • Enable I/O APIC
      • Video memory 128MB
      • Graphics Controller VMSVGA
      • Storage: point to andy_v25a.iso (or whatever version you're using)

When you boot it, it should come up in a "live" environment which is 100% fully
      functional but perhaps a tad slower.

HTH,

Andy
      KB1OIQ

--
      Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)

• Alan Lovejoy

Alan Lovejoy - 2023-12-21

I'm using the latest Virtualbox version 7 running on a Win11Pro pc. 32g ram, 12 processors, Intel i7 8th gen. I tried to setup a new VM in virtualbox using both Guided mode and Expert mode, used different values of ram, processors, and disk size, it gets through the setup but when I click on the Finish button virtualbox locks up. I've tried it on both a W11 pc and a W10 pc, tried turning off antivirus, the firewall, and the expressvpn I use, nothing seems to made a difference. I can setup VM's for ubuntu and mint without any problems. Could it be something with the version of virtualbox I'm using?

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2023-12-22

On 12/21/23 03:31PM, Alan Lovejoy wrote:

I'm using the latest Virtualbox version 7 running on a Win11Pro pc. 32g ram, 12
      processors, Intel i7 8th gen. I tried to setup a new VM in virtualbox using
      both Guided mode and Expert mode, used different values of ram, processors, and
      disk size, it gets through the setup but when I click on the Finish button
      virtualbox locks up. I've tried it on both a W11 pc and a W10 pc, tried turning
      off antivirus, the firewall, and the expressvpn I use, nothing seems to made a
      difference. I can setup VM's for ubuntu and mint without any problems. Could it
      be something with the version of virtualbox I'm using?

HI Alan,

I suppose anything is possible. That's strange that you're having this
      problem. When you say, "it gets through the setup", are you referring to
      Virtualbox itself?

Andy

--
      Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)