Menu

Choosing a different desktop enviornment

Ed Fix
2020-07-14
2020-07-14
  • Ed Fix

Ed Fix - 2020-07-14

I have just loaded version 24 onto my shack laptop. I first learned of Andy's Ham Radio Linux when we had a QSO a couple of years ago, but never got it loaded until just now. I use Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop on my main computer, and prefer to use Cinnamon on this one as well, but after downloading and installing Cinnamon, there seems to be no way to "choose" which enviornment to use, much less make the default. Under Ubuntu (and Mint) there is a choice at the login screen, but that has been replaced with "Andy's Ham Radio Linux" login screen and no chance to select the default Ubuntu login screen, or any other installed desktop enviornment.

Can someone point me to a way to get the login screen and desktop environment I prefer? Many thanks.

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2020-07-14

Hi Ed,

A user can always use AHRL as a base and install/remove packages as desired. Think of this like a ham radio where you install desired filters, etc.

In the history of AHRL, there has been one supported desktop environment. It used to be icewm, and now it is xfce4.

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Ed Fix

Ed Fix - 2020-07-14

Hi, Andy.

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I've already installed Cinnamon packages, but couldn't see an easy way to use it. If I understand you, there really isn't a simple way to switch to Cinnamon. I'll probably just re-install the latest Linux Mint and use your excellent documentation (thanks for that) to load up the ham radio applications and programs. But probably tomorrow. I'm tired of messing with it today.

73, and thanks again

Ed
    W8BFT