Menu

Networking with Wicd (as of v9)

2011-07-22
2020-03-17
  • Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2011-07-22

As of version 9 of this CD, the Wicd software has been included.  This software allows the user to configure, start, and stop the network (hard wired and wireless). 

There is an icon near the lower right of the screen that looks something like two computer terminals.  Click that icon, and the Wicd GUI will appear.

If the GUI is not on the screen for some reason, the program can be started thus:

a) From the GUI, choose Menu->Programs->Applications->Network->Monitoring->WICD

Have a lot of fun, and 73 de Andy KB1OIQ

• DaveG

DaveG - 2011-08-12

V9 WICD doesn't work with a hidden Essid  :(
    I have to broadcast to make a connection to my router..
    No problem with several other Ubuntu dists that I have installed.
    Any suggestions

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2011-08-14

I'm sorry to hear that WiCD isn't working for you with a hidden ESSID.  I haven't encoutered that case since I don't have any networks with hidden ESSIDs.  In the creating of this ham radio CD, I didn't do anything explicitly with the WiCD software except install it.  I believe I have included the latest version.  Unfortunately, the best I can do is recommend you peruse the WiCD website:

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

If I discover anything helpful in the future, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Andy

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2011-08-14

• Simon Bridger

Simon Bridger - 2020-03-17

V23: This link isn't there. Personally I would expect it under system, not so deeply buried.

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2020-03-17

On 3/16/20 8:55 PM, Simon Bridger wrote:

V23: This link isn't there. Personally I would expect it under system, not so
      deeply buried.

There's no need to dive deeply into the menu to find WICD. It is an icon on
      the panel.

Andy

--
      Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)
      Vice President: PART of Westford, MA (WB1GOF)
      Founder: Chelmsford Linux Meetup Group
      Founder: Worcester Linux Users' Group