Menu

HOWTO Create Bootable USB from v22b ISO

2019-03-23
2020-01-29
  • Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2019-03-23

Hi Everybody,

A couple of people have asked how to create a bootable USB memory stick from the "Andy's Ham Radio Linux" ISO file. I only know how to do this from a Linux system, since that's the only operating system I use at home.

I use the "multibootusb" program, and it works great! It creates a bootable USB memory stick that boots on either a "legacy BIOS" system or UEFI. It is available for Ubuntu systems via these commands:

sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get install python3-multibootusb

This program is available when one boots "Andy's Ham Radio Linux" using a live medium. It is in the System menu.

More info here:
    http://multibootusb.org/

Have fun, and 73,

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Cool Games

Cool Games - 2019-03-24

I have been successful using Etcher.io which I learned about with Raspberry Pi documentation.

Same process with different CPU and therefore ISO's than required here so "Andy's Ham Radio Linux" ISO is not bootable on the Pi.

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2019-03-25

The Raspberry Pi is based on an ARM processor. Andy's Ham Radio Linux will not work on any ARM architecture. It will only work on x86_64 processors.

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Cool Games

Cool Games - 2019-03-25

I appologize if I suggested that using the Pi documentation made your software usable on Pi.
    You correctly state it will not work on the Raspberry Pi or any other ARM processor / system.
    I found etcher.io is available for all host OS to make a first step bootable USB of your distribution.

Electric Lee
    KB1ELE

• Alex Munro

Alex Munro - 2019-06-17

Hi Andy,
    I'm using multibootusb and it tells me the boot flag is set to false.
    Is that correct? If so, what's the simplest way of making it bootable?
    Thanks,
    Alex

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2019-06-18

Hi Alex,

Yes, that's correct. multibootusb will take care of everything. After multibootusb is done creating the image on your USB thumb drive, when you boot it, there will be a menu. Pikc the menu entry for andy_v22b and boot it. It will work correctly.

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Paul Perry

Paul Perry - 2019-07-09

I have been supremely unsucessful in creating a bootable usb drive from the andy_v22b_64bit.iso image. I tried on Mac OS X 10.13 and Ubuntu 16.04 . On Mac I tried Etcher and received the following error: "It looks like this is not a bootable image. The image does not appear to contain a partition table, and might not be recognized or bootable by your device."

On Ubuntu I tried to use dd, Disk, Startup Disk Creator, and multibootusb, in the reverse order. The first 3 write to the usb but I am not able to boot from the usb either on the ubutu desktop that I have or the MacBookPro. multibootusb was never able to find the usb device and never worked.

Is there something I need to do to the media before I use any of these tools? I did make user it had a FAT32 file system on it, and I presumed that it was going to be overwritten anyway.

What am I doing wrong? :)

Last edit: Paul Perry 2019-07-10
  • Paul Perry

Paul Perry - 2019-07-09

Still not able to get this to work, but confirming that I was able to create a bootable image on Mac for Mac with Etcher from the Ubuntu 18.04 ISO, so the media and this process does work. I tried https://unetbootin.github.io/ because it handles this missing partition problem differently from what I read, but it did not work for me.

Getting back to the multibootusb path on ubuntu, I ran into the following problems:
    1) sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get install python3-multibootusb does not work, it can't find it. In fact, the multibootusb guide doesn't even mention it. Maybe that has changed.
    2) Downloading the ubuntu package runs, but it can't find the usb drive, even though lsusb is able to see/dev/sdc. multibootusb -t /devsdc also didn't help. This tool as installed was not working.
    3) My last option would be to try to run multibootusb from source? Other ideas?

Last edit: Paul Perry 2019-07-09
  • Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2019-07-09

HI Paul,

I'm sorry that you're having so much difficulty. I cannot speak for how to do this on any operating system other than Linux, since that's all I use.

I double checked the python3-multibootusb package, and it contains /usr/bin/multibootusb and /usr/bin/multibootusb-pkexec as expected.

Multibootusb needs to be run as root. Try running: sudo multibootusb-pkexec

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Paul Perry

Paul Perry - 2019-07-10

I finally did get multibootusb to work: it would not see the usb device if the device didn't have a partition on it, which I must have trashed with dd or some other step. I did run it as root as it would not run otherwise. Once I created the partition I was able to install the ISO and was able to boot with it. Now to play with it! Thank you Andy for all the work!

• David Negaard

David Negaard - 2020-01-29

Did you use a particular partition type? I am dealing with the same thing with v23, but I have a vanilla Ubuntu distribution up and running, so I can create any kind of partition without much difficulty.

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2019-07-11

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting us know what you discovered about needing a partition on a device that you're going to rewrite - yeah, that is a little bit strange, but somebody else will likely bump into this problem.

I'm glad to hear that you've successfully booted AHRL. Thank you for trying this software collection, and for your kind words of thanks.

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Brendan Moss

Brendan Moss - 2019-08-01

Hi everyone,wanted to have a live usb with persistent storage but I had alot of trouble getting windoze to write the usb with a persistent stroage. so i suggest for the people that have issues with this to use 2 usb disks, write it first from windows and also copy the image tot he newly formed drive in a suitable folder, then start the live usb and use the wimage writer in Andy's ham linux to write the persistent USB. was a bi of double handling but actually worked!