Menu

Adding desktop shortcuts

Eric
2019-12-13
2019-12-15
  • Eric

Eric - 2019-12-13

Anyone know the correct way to add desktop shortcuts in AHRL? I Google'd it and tried a few ways that didn't workk (no Nautilus, and installing Nautilus didn't work; and no Desktop folder in the user space). I know how to do it in Red Hat-ish distros (copy the .desktop file to Desktop) but while there are plenty of .desktop files in /usr/share/applications, there isn't a Desktop folder in user space to copy them to, and adding one doesn't work.

Searching through this forum didn't help.

Thanks...

Rick WA1RKT
    Londonderry, NH
    Catch me on 14.300 MHz Intercon / MMSN most days

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2019-12-15

Hi Rick,

The window manager is icewm.
    https://ice-wm.org/

I don't think desktop icons are part of icewm, which is one of the main reasons I like it. I find them cluttersome. Also, icewm was originally chosen because it is mature software that is lightweight, and AHRL was originally designed for older computers with limited resources. Now, fast forward about 10 years.

I know that many people will like the simplicity of icewm, while others would rather have an environment with more features that are easily accessible. In icewm, tt is possible to put icons on the taskbar, and a few are already there for your use (e.g. WiCD, terminal, web browser, laptop brightness).

The system level configuration files for icewm live here:
    /etc/X11/icewm

Conventional wisdom says that one should not edit the system level files, but instead they should be copied to the user's directory, which is created here:
    ~/.icewm

Once copied, the text files can be edited to suit the taste of the user.

I know that it is possible to install xfce4 on top of AHRL. It is highly probable that xfce will be the default environment in the next release.

Have fun and 73,

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Eric

Eric - 2019-12-15

Thanks, Andy. Adding icons to the toolbar works as described. I have a vague preference for having them on the desktop but it's not a strong desire and the toolbar is OK.

So far icewm is working well. Memory on my Macbook Air is limited and so I much prefer if I can restrict the VM memory to 1 GB (can't do that on Win7 or Win10, need 2GB for those). So, happy to stick with whatever desktop manager will allow that.

Rick WA1RKT

• Eric

Eric - 2019-12-15

I figured out how to add desktop icons using idesk. Works pretty well although limited... haven't found an easy way to sort the icons alphabetically by name or anything like that, for example.

If anyone is interested, follow up on this thread and I'll summarize what I've done.

Rick WA1RKT