Menu

Full Screen with VirtualBox

Eric
2019-12-11
2019-12-15
  • Eric

Eric - 2019-12-11

Running AHRL as a VirtualBox guest on a Mac host. How do I get the VM to run full screen? I select full screen and it appears to go into full-screen mode but the actual desktop stays the same size (currently 1280x1024 on a 1600x1200 display).

I have three other VMs in that installation, one each for WinXP, Win7, and Win10. All of them run full-screen as expected.

I have updated VirtualBox Guest Additions to the version that matches my VirtualBox installation and that didn't do any good.

I can work around it by actually setting the resolution to 1600x1200 and then select full screen, but I'm thinking that the VBox Guest Additions video driver is supposed to detect that on its own and re-size the desktop, which isn't working.

Thanks...

Rick WA1RKT
    Londonderry, NH
    Catch me on 14.300 MHz Intercon / MMSN most days

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2019-12-15

In VirtualBox, try the following which worked for me and hopefully works for you.

Before starting the virtual machine containing AHRL, go into the virtual machine settings and click on "Display". Where it says "graphics controller", choose VMSVGA. Also choose 128MB of video memory, and one monitor. Click "OK".

Now, boot AHRL in the virtual machine you just configured. Log in and see the icewm desktop. In AHRL, bring up the menu (lower left corner) and go into System->Screen Resolution. This will bring up a small GUI. Click on the "Resolution" menu in that GUI. You should see a long list of available resolutions. Select the desired resolution, and the virtual screen will immediately change to that resolution. It is also possible to resize the window with the mouse and the virtual screen size will change accordingly.

Have fun and 73,

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Eric

Eric - 2019-12-15

Yup, that worked, Andy, thanks.

Another thing that helped was upgrading VirtualBox from version 5.x to 6.0.14. :-)

Rick WA1RKT

• Eric

Eric - 2019-12-15

Hmmm... still a little weird. Somehow, when I'm NOT in full-screen mode, the VM's display gets stuck on 1600x834. I right click on the desktop and select System->Screen Resolution, then select 1400x1050 then Apply and Save, and it re-sizes to 1400x1050 like I asked.. I then go back to Full Screen mode (Host-F) and I get the full screen just like it should. Another Host-F to get back out of Full Screen mode and it goes back to 1600x834, and not 1400-1050.

It's not a big deal, I'll almost always be using Full Screen mode anyway, but for cases where I want something smaller it would be nice if it would remember what I set it for and not select something bizarre that I never asked for like 1600x834.

Rick WA1RKT

• Eric

Eric - 2019-12-15

I reverted back to the default "ubuntu" account in case I had messed something up in my own space, and it's still stuck on 1600x834 unless I set full screen.