Menu

How to run GridTracker on AHRL

2021-08-29
2021-08-30
  • Bill Hunter

Bill Hunter - 2021-08-29

Hi Andy,

First, thanks for the great OS for Ham Radio! Been using it for almost two years, after returning to Ham Radio after a 36 year-absence. (Ham Radio + computer? Who'd-a thunk it?)

I installed GridTracker on my AHRL v24 machine, but in order to be able to get it to retain my chosen preferences, I have to run it with sudo. Otherwise I have to reset my audio device every time I start the GT program. Also when starting GT, a very brief popup window opens to tell me that my preferences can't be read or saved. (So brief in fact that I had to video-record my screen and freeze the playback so that I could read it.)

I don't know if you're familiar with GridTracker or not, so I'll mention that it has no installer for Linux. You just extract the files to a directory of your choosing, usually within your home folder, and then start it from a terminal window using the ./GridTracker command. I have tried it from both my /home/ve3bok/ directory where I am the owner, and from the /opt/ directory where root is the owner, with the same results.

I have checked directory and file permissions and they appear to be correct. I've also tried installing GT on my other Linux partition (Ubuntu Studio 20.04) and it runs without issue. So I think my issue is something unique to AHRL.

Any tips?

Thanks!
    Bill, VE3BOK

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2021-08-30

On 8/29/21 6:50 PM, Bill Hunter wrote:

Hi Andy,

First, thanks for the great OS for Ham Radio! Been using it for almost two
      years, after returning to Ham Radio after a 36 year-absence. (Ham Radio +
      computer? Who'd-a thunk it?)

I installed GridTracker on my AHRL v24 machine, but in order to be able to get
      it to retain my chosen preferences, I have to run it with sudo. Otherwise I
      have to reset my audio device every time I start the GT program. Also when
      starting GT, a very brief popup window opens to tell me that my preferences
      can't be read or saved. (So brief in fact that I had to video-record my screen
      and freeze the playback so that I could read it.)

I don't know if you're familiar with GridTracker or not, so I'll mention that
      it has no installer for Linux. You just extract the files to a directory of
      your choosing, usually within your home folder, and then start it from a
      terminal window using the ./GridTracker command. I have tried it from both my
      /home/ve3bok/ directory where I am the owner, and from the /opt/ directory
      where root is the owner, with the same results.

I have checked directory and file permissions and they appear to be correct.
      I've also tried installing GT on my other Linux partition (Ubuntu Studio 20.04)
      and it runs without issue. So I think my issue is something unique to AHRL.

Any tips?

Thanks!
      Bill, VE3BOK

Hi Bill,

I am a frequent user of GridTracker. I think it is AWESOME software.

Normally, software applications on a Linux system are installed in a system
      level directory, and any application data are stored somewhere in the user's
      directory hierarchy.

This is not the case for GridTracker in my experience. This application is
      installed in the user's directory hierarchy. You mentioned this in your email.

Thus, in the next version of AHRL, I can't install it for you and have it "just
      work", or if I can, I haven't yet found a way. I will discuss this with the
      GridTracker team in case I've missed something.

I run GridTracker regularly on AHRL and the use of sudo is not needed. I
      recommend double checking the file protections.

I wish I could offer a definite solution, but in this case, I really don't know.

Andy

--
      Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)
      Vice President: PART of Westford, MA (WB1GOF)

• Bill Hunter

Bill Hunter - 2021-08-30

I just realized that I should have posted this in Help rather than Open Discussion. Sorry about that.

I should also have mentioned that I'm running v24 dated May 16, 2020.

I know just enough about Linux to be dangerous to myself. Permissions seem correct to me, so if you don't mind, I'll ask you to double-check them for me. I've attached a screenshot so you can see the colours.

In similar fashion as above, all deeper subdirectories are drwxrwxrwx, and files are -rw-rw-rw-.