Menu

Experimenting with KB1OIQ over network - vbox headless

Cool Games
2020-06-19
2020-06-19
  • Cool Games

Cool Games - 2020-06-19

I have an ARM64 Odroid N2 from Ameridroid (in USA) that can not run x86 code so I am using my System 76 Lemur that is running Ubuntu Studio 20.04.
    The Odroid N2 is running Ubuntu 20.04 Mate desktop in a developers network installation.
    This may also be a way for others to use the existing andy_v24_64bit.iso to evaluate or expiriment without dedicating a machine to single x86 ubuntu 18.04 XFCE machine.

At first I tried to run vitualbox from ssh -X but the KB1OIQ install on hard disk hung after keyboard questions.

I ran the virtualbox locally on the Lemur laptop and created the KB1OIQ virtual image.
    I extracted the install command from the desktop file with text editor and successfully ran it over the ssh -X link.

$ sudo --preserve-env=DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS,XDG_RUNTIME_DIR sh -c 'ubiquity gtk_ui'

It created the same install window as when I ran the live CD locally on the laptop (Lemur).
    The differance is it did not hang after asking about keyboard, etc as before.

vboxheadless -s KB1OIQ

I want to start a discussion thread on how to help improve this awesome effort with tutorials and anecdotal reporting of what has been accomplished with Andy's Ham Radio Linux.

I also may try to write a simple help tutorial using the yelp that comes already installed on this distribution.

Attached is the screen showing remote login and command to start KB1OIQ.
    On the top is the remote login to the network bridged virtual terminal running yelp.

Here is how I access the remote virtual machine using command lines on both systems.

leetdavy@cooldroidn2:~$ ssh -X ubuntu@192.168.1.23
    ubuntu@192.168.1.23's password: 
    Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-96-generic x86_64)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com
     * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com
     * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage

* MicroK8s gets a native Windows installer and command-line integration.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/microk8s-installers-windows-and-macos
    Last login: Thu Jun 18 11:51:11 2020 from 192.168.1.10
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ 
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ 
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ exit
    logout
    Connection to 192.168.1.23 closed.

More to come as I use this system and write the help & tutorial.
    Eventually I will port the tested distribution manifest to the inexpensive Odroid N2 as a command line script added to the Odroid / Hardkernel image.

73's
    KB1ELE
    Electric Lee

Last edit: Cool Games 2020-06-19
  • Cool Games

Cool Games - 2020-06-19

This part may be confusing but the key command after the remote login in previous post is the xfce4-session as this atachment shows on the remote screen a complete session as though on a standalone machine.

Please note Odroid N2 (Mate) is NOT x86 running KB1OIQ but only displaying the remote execution of XFCE4 on the x86 machine that is running vboxheadless -s.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ xfce4-session

• Cool Games

Cool Games - 2020-06-19

Attached is my first application from the KB1OIQ menu for gpredict on remote diisplay.
    This will become the way I can document the way to use Andy's distribution as I learn to use all the applications.
    I am a General Class senior (65+) with limited income and only 2 meter mobile currently in use.
    I have used XFCE4 Linux for a decade so it is familiar to me.
    I hope to upgrade license and equipment maybe but I already have used GPS, SDR, chirp and fldigi USB devices to add those skills to this tutorial.

73's
    KB1ELE

• Cool Games

Cool Games - 2020-06-19

For the getting started I will explore creating a "simple(?)" menu choice that will help navigate the documetation.
    Commands can be entered from
    1. Applications -> Run Program
    or local or remote command line using
    2. Applications -> Terminal Emulator
    for example where & allows return to command line to run another application

$ yelp &
    $

I used the Applications -> File Manager twice to navigate to "File System"
    /usr/share/man then Applications -> Run Program -> xman
    and
    /usr/share/help/C then Applications -> Run Program -> Yelp

I used Run Program from the Applications menu with third command
    to get to the entry point for mate-calc in the help/C directory that was not included in the default list for Yelp .

Applications -> Run Program -> yelp help:mate-calc.

NOTE:

The other manual pages found using xman are accessable with yelp program.
    The command yelp man:gpredict for example will have better formatted man page

• Cool Games

Cool Games - 2020-06-19

Manual Pages by the Book

Summary shown here is eluding to all the Linux commands used at the terminal prompt.

HINT:
    Pressing TAB at command prompt completes the command so
    $ ma followed by tab will show all commands that start with ma

Here are three ways to view the same manual page

1. man man
    2. xman select man
    3. yelp man:man Best looking and largest readable font

See attached for visual review.