Menu

Version 23 Bootable DVD

2020-01-29
2020-04-28
  • David Negaard

David Negaard - 2020-01-29

Aloha,

I am trying to install onto an Asus VivoBook L203MA, which will not boot from a USB thumb drive. I was able to install vanilla Ubuntu from a DVD burned from a downloaded image, but when I used the same procedure to burn a DVD from the downloaded Andy 23 image, it refuses to boot. in earlier attempts to prep a bootable USB thumb drive (before I realized that was futile), the BalenaEtcher program complained that the image had no partitions. It does not have the same complaint about the Ubuntu 18.0.4.3 image.

I REALLY want to use this distribution—i don't want to have to reinvent the wheel—but I am baffled. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Mahalo,

David (KH6AN)

Last edit: David Negaard 2020-01-29
  • Marcel Prins

Marcel Prins - 2020-04-12

and found how to do it?, and if so you can tell me how.
    I have the same problem and want to do a fresh install on clean laptop

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2020-04-12

HI guys,

Since you asked specifically about how to create and boot from a DVD, I'll resurrect an old computer with a built-in DVD drive and let you know the details of my experience.

Be very sure that you have a good download of andy_whatever.iso. Compute the md5sum and compare it to that which is online (which I've verified is correct).

First, I burned the DVD using the Brasero software. I believe I have also used k3b successfully. In Brasero, be sure to select "Burn Image" and point to andy_whatever.iso.

I then put the DVD into the computer that I wanted to boot. I got into the BIOS to ensure that it would boot the DVD. The AHRL text screen appeared as expected, and after pressing ENTER, the DVD started to boot. After a couple of minutes where the DVD drive made a lot of noise, the login screen appeared. Use "ubuntu" as the login, and "kb1oiq" as the password. I did this today using v23e (not yet released).

That's it! I hope your experience is equally painless.

Please let me know if you have issues, and I'll try to help if I can.

Andy
    KB1OIQ

Last edit: Andy Stewart 2020-04-13
    • David Negaard

David Negaard - 2020-04-27

Finally getting back to this...and I can't find the md5sum for v23e. Can you help?

Never mind, just found it.

Mahalo,
      David
      KH6AN

Last edit: David Negaard 2020-04-27
  • Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2020-04-12

Hi guys,

To further clarify, the procedure I just described will boot into the live medium. There's an icon on the left which will install AHRL to the hard drive. Double click that icon, and answer the questions posed by the installation program. After that succeeds, read the README FIRST file for instructions on how to create the first account.

Have fun and 73,

Andy
    KB1OIQ