Andy Stewart - 2020-01-02

Hi Everybody,

One can easily change from icewm to xfce by doing the following:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xfce4*
logout/login

However, the ham radio programs are all over the place in the menu hierarchy. I'm not fond of this.

I am working on making one of the xfce menus look like the icewm menu layout. Note that there are over 70 menu entries, and this will take time. Not only do I have to create the menu, I need to test each and every single one of them.

For those of you interested in the details, I've created several

.directory files in /usr/local/share/desktop-directories. I'm using the <application>.desktop file when it exists, but I've also had to create many such files that did not exit, and those will be in /usr/local/share/applications. I've created an install_it script which uses xdg-desktop-menu commands to install these files into the menu hierarchy. This script is intended to be run exactly once by the user. If the user wishes a different menu hierarchy, these files could be modified by the user to suit their preferences.

My current result can be seen in the attached file, which is version 23 ALPHA plus xfce4* plus my work as described above.

I will keep you posted as this work progresses. Many thanks for your interest in "Andy's Ham Radio Linux".

Happy New Year, and 73,

Andy
KB1OIQ

</application>