Menu

Bluetooth support?

2020-07-11
2020-07-14
  • Nick Stinson

Nick Stinson - 2020-07-11

I recently installed v.24 and can not find a way to configure the bluetooth hardware on the computer.

Are bluetooth devices supported? If yes, how do I configure them?

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2020-07-12

Hi Nick,

I never use bluetooth, so I didn't add any software for it. You're the first to ask. That said, I've done nothing to preclude it, either. If you come up with a list of packages, I'll consider adding them in a future version. Any website that describes bluetooth on Ubuntu Linux should be applicable.

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Nick Stinson

Nick Stinson - 2020-07-12

Andy,

Thanks for the information and considering this as a potential add to the software. I don't know much about the inner workings of Linux so aren't sure how to identify the appropriate packages. However, I did look around a bit online and identified this group called BlueZ that is billed as the official linux bluetooth protocol stack on their website: http://www.bluez.org. Hopefully this is provides what you need in the event you have time to do this enhancement.

Is this thread good enough as an enhancement request, or should I also enter a ticket?

Nick
    KC1MSR

• Andy Stewart

Hi Nick,

There's no need to create a ticket. I can add the software, but since I have no bluetooth devices, I have no way to test it. If I create a test version of AHRL, would you be willing to try it and let me know if it works?

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Nick Stinson

Andy,

That's great - yes, I'd be willing to test it out - just let me know when there's a download available.

Nick
    KC1MSR

• Andy Stewart

Hi Nick,

These are the pointers to the programs that you'll need to setup and use bluetooth. There's also a link to some documentation that I found online.

Menu selections:
    Applications -> Settings -> Bluetooth Adapters
    Applications -> Settings -> Bluetooth Manager
    Applications -> Andy_Ham_Radio_Linux -> Documentation -> Andy_Ham_Radio_Linux
    1) choose HOWTO_setup_bluetooth.pdf

I will start the upload of version 24b shortly. It will take at least 2 hours.

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Andy Stewart

Nick, the download is available for you to test:
    v24/andy_v24b_64bit.iso

Please check the md5sum prior to using the ISO file. I look forward to hearing about your bluetooth experience.

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Nick Stinson

Andy,

Sounds good - I've got the download in progress. Can I test it by just running it in live mode from the CD? I'll let you know when I have something to report.

Nick
    KC1MSR

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2020-07-13

Hi Nick,

It should work if you run it in live mode on a real computer. There may be issues if you run it on a virtual computer such as VirtualBox.

Good luck and 73,

Andy
    KB1OIQ

• Nick Stinson

Nick Stinson - 2020-07-14

Andy,

OK, I'm feeling pretty embarrassed right now. I got on this path using a computer that someone gave me - it came with no drive, so I put in a SSD and put your linux on it. Trying to run the "Bluetooth Adapters" and "Bluetooth Manager" on v24b, it appears that the computer does not even have the bluetooth hardware - I figured since it was 2 years older than my Mac (which has BT), that it must too - wrong. When I looked up the model number online, sure enough, bluetooth did not come with this machine.

I appologize for sending you on a wild goose chase - I know a couple of people that may be able to test it, so I'll see if I can get one of them to give it a whirl.

Nick
    KC1MSR

• Andy Stewart

Andy Stewart - 2020-07-14

Hi Nick,

No worries....v24b might be helpful to others following this thread. There are USB to Bluetooth adapters that are pretty inexpensive - you might consider one of those. If you get a friend to try it, or if anybody reading this thread tries it, please let me know how it works for you.

Andy
    KB1OIQ