Menu

Assign weight to a node & calculate ...

Anonymous
2012-12-21
2013-05-29
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-21

How to assign weight to a node in a directed network graph and calculate the effective node weight?

My Problem:

I have a set of nodes, with some nodes are connected by directional edges.
        I want to assign the weights to each node and each edge.
        Finally I would like to calculate effective node weights based on influence of the connected nodes.

Background:

Currently I am using JUNG to solve my problem.
        I looked at JUNG package edu.uci.ics.jung.algorithms.scoring. But not sure if they would help me achieve my objectives.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ramesh

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-26

Joshua - I stated my question at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13982323/how-to-assign-weight-to-a-node-in-a-directed-network-graph-and-caculate-the-effe

Just for ease, here it is…
    (1) Say I have a graph with many nodes of predetermined risk for each node.
    (2) Now some of these nodes are connected to others with directional edges. These edges have variable thickness. i.e. Depending on the size of the edge, the resultant risk would vary.
    (3) Now I would like to calculate the effective risk of these nodes based on the connectivity.

I have seen JUNG scoring packages. I am not sure which algorithm that I need to use based on my requirement. Can you please suggest which would be more appropriate & is there a sample implementation?

• Joshua O'Madadhain

As I said above, I responded on StackOverflow (and have just done so again).  Let's keep the discussion in one place, i.e., not here.  :)

I will summarize my response there by saying that you still haven't defined your risk model and thus there is no way to define an algorithm and no way to help you.  If you've got a paper on which your unspecified model is based, you should at least link it.

Joshua