Menu

Presentation

2009-11-09
2013-04-29
  • Thomas Papadopoulos

Congratulations to the author. First i want to say that it's a great tool. I made some tests and i am really happy that i can write math on web. As a math teacher who is interested in computer aided education, i wonder if it is possible to give us the ability to present our web-lessons in a more live format. I mean that it would be wonderful if we could see math formulas drawn in real time, like someone was writing them in the blackboard. I have seen some tools in action script, doing some handwriting effects with plain text. Is it possible something like that with math? I am working with geogebra in interactive whiteboards and i think that if i had the ability to simulate my scripts as well, it would be perfect. Thanks for your efforts. Best regards, Thomas Papadopoulos.

• Davide P. Cervone

Thanks for your kind comments.  I am glad that you find jsMath useful.

JsMath does have some support for dynamically-generated content, but I don't think it will be able to do what you request.  It might be possible to script jsMath so that the letters would show up one at a time, but I don't see any way to make it look like the symbols are being stroked one line at a time, if that's what you are after.

Even having the characters show up one at a time would take some programming.  Is that something you are interested in doing?

Davide

• Thomas Papadopoulos

Hi Davide.
    Yes, that's exactly what i am interesting in. I think that it's very important, especially for young pupils. I am trying to do something in action script and I've read about the canvas tag in firefox. It's not easy and I am not young anymore…
    Are you currently working in a new project named mathJAX? I've read something in a blog. Is it true that we may have an early release in 2009? If so, I am very happy.
    Best wishes,
    Thomas

• Davide P. Cervone

Thomas:

We've already discussed (via email) some code for doing this, so I hope you are making progress.

As for MathJax, yes I'm in the late beta-test stages of the first release of MathJax.  We plan a release around the 1st of the year.  See (www.mathjax.org) for details and announcements, when they become available.

Davide