GPLv3 and SWT (EPL)

Help
nipps
2010-06-05
2013-04-17
  • nipps

nipps - 2010-06-05

Hi,
    I've a question concerning the usage of this library which is licensed under the GPLv3 and SWT which is licensed under the EPL. In your library already exists an SWT example "RenderDoc". But the EPL and the GPL are not compatible in any combination.
    Am I right that there is a way to use JPodRenderer library in a non-commercial application that is based on The Standard Widget Toolkit ? I've read the GPLv3 has an Exception which is intended for such cases. Correct me if I misunderstood the whole thing.

• mtraut

mtraut - 2010-06-06

I'm sorry, but i can't help. None of us is deep enough in the legalese business to answer this. But if you find a valid response, it would be interesting for other forums members to learn about the results. There should be others that already stumbled across the SWT/GPL topic…

sorry

• nipps

nipps - 2010-06-06

I found this article http://dev.eclipse.org/blogs/mike/2010/04/06/epl-gpl-commentary/ which says clearly "if you or your organization are distributing EPL and GPL licensed code linked together into a single program you are almost certainly violating both the EPL and the GPL.".
    And this faq http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs which says "If you want your program to link against a library not covered by the system library exception, you need to provide permission to do that" and "But if you want to use parts of other GPL-covered programs by other authors in your code, you cannot authorize the exception for them. You have to get the approval of the copyright holders of those programs.". So what I have to do is to use the example license notice and get your approval to link with SWT ?!

• mtraut

mtraut - 2010-06-07

if this is what you need, we will add the exception to the next release. this alright?

• nipps

nipps - 2010-06-09

this would be great, thanks

• mtraut

mtraut - 2010-06-25

swt license exception added to 5.3.0 release (expected soon)