Menu

Jabref external PDF viewer not working with newly added papers

Help
jorgen
2014-10-19
2015-06-03
  • jorgen

jorgen - 2014-10-19

I've been using Jabref for a while and linking files so that I can just click the PDF icon to open the relevant papers. But lately when I add new pdf's they won't open. The "Status" bar at the bottom says "External viewer called," but they never show up.

As mentioned the files added to my bibtex file earlier work fine. They way I add the files is the same as ever (drag them onto the "File" field of the "General" tab), and looking at the bibtex code it also looks the same.

It's annoying to have to go to my references folder and find the file for all new papers. Anyone else have this issue?

PS: I use windows 7 and my PDF viewer is Foxit Reader. I tried upgrading to the newest version of Jabref.

• Chris George

Chris George - 2015-04-09

I am having this exact same issue. I am on Linux, 64bit and my pdf viewer is Okular.

• cybergnomer

cybergnomer - 2015-06-03

Hopefully you and jorgen have resolved it by now. However, I just started having a similar problem.

I'm using Xfce (64-bit) and my pdf viewer is Okular as well. Sometimes it would open okular to view the linked pdf file, sometimes it would take a while, and other times it would open normally. I finally deleted ~/.java/.userPrefs/net/sf/jabref folder after uninstalling jabref, and then reinstalled jabref. Problem solved for me.

I made sure to export preferences, and copy my 'Entry preview' citation format so that I could restore my previous settings (although I did not import back the preferences, but only pasted the 'Entry preview' format back).