Menu

Possible work-around for installation issues

IrCOMM2k
2004-05-10
2004-07-09
  • Erwin Wagner

Erwin Wagner - 2004-05-10

After struggling to reinstall beta2 I got it working again on my configuration. I'm no driver guru and it was mostly trial-and-error and I can't guarantee that this solution will work for you guys too. I can't give you more infos than what I provide here. But here it is anyway:

1. Extract the raw installation files (*.sys, *.inf) from the beta 2 installer. I used task manager to kill the process during the installation (progress bar at around 3/4 complete). The files are put in your temp dir (documents&settings -> <user> -> temporary files -> temp or something similar). Save the files in a new directory for future use.

2. Remove all traces of the old installation from the system: Uninstall IrCOMM using control panel. Then remove all registry keys. For write protected registry keys use regedt32 and change the access rights for the corresponding keys. I also killed a few entries that were installed for my mobile phone (S55) which also had some entries regarding infrared.

2.1. For Psion/PsiWin users: Free up one of your com ports 1-4 using device manager. Reassign an existing one to the higher range (com5+).

3. Here comes the trick: Use the installation procedure described in ALPHA 8!!! Use 'irdainst.exe -i' as described in the readme.txt of alpha. Then just follow steps 5 & 6 to install the virtual comm port and forwarding device.

4. Restart probably won't hurt ;-).

Hope that helped.

• Erwin Wagner

Erwin Wagner - 2004-05-10

Btw: My system is XP with SP1 installed. IrDA is some "SMC IrCC Fast Infrared". All infrared devices that I tried are recognised quite nicely by Windows XP. With the new work-around I got he functionaliy of IrCOMM working nicely again now.

You can also use device manager -> View -> Show hidden devices to check the correct entries for IrCOMM2K.

COM Ports should show "Virtual IR COM Port (COM<x>)" (where <x> is the number of your com port). Infrared devices should have an entry "IrDA Forward Adapter". "Non-PnP-Drivers" should have "IrDA2k Protocol".

I'm not gonna touch my system any more now ;-)).

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-05-13

I have tried this procedure more or less, as well as various permutations of it, all to no avail.  I always end up with the same problem.  The virtual port and the IRDA forward driver install but the IRDA2k Protocol does not install.  The curious thing is that I have been able to install IrComm2k successfully on the same computer.  Something is interfering with it but I can't figure out what it is.

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

Ren de la Rie

• Erwin Wagner

Erwin Wagner - 2004-05-13

The only thing that remains:

Have a look at the IrCOMM source code, find the problem and fix it ;-).

• Nobody/Anonymous

I have win2k on #Cleve NoteBook# laptop with built-in infrared port with PsiWin 2.3.3 and Psion 5MX - couldnt connect with IR, COM17 was always the port that IRCOMM2kbeta2 selected - spent hours trying to fix - I have Bluetooth drivers for Belkin USB bluetooth adapter which is taking up COM4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14 so I deleted COM4 in Device Manager and then installed IRCOMM2kbeta2 which took up COM4 as Virtual Port - now it all works fine - I havent tested Bluetooth yet but if it doesnt work ill just reinstall it

I have SIR selected as transceiver for Infrared device A and B