Menu

Issues in OpenSuse 11.0

Help
strawdg
2008-11-15
2013-05-20
  • strawdg

strawdg - 2008-11-15

I am running IPLIST 23 with opensuse 11.0, and have a couple of issues to resolve...

Issue 1:
    I started with iplist 0.19-2.1@x86_64, in that version Autostart did not seem to work so I decided to change to v.23.  When I tried to remove v.19 with YAST the removal failed. I went ahead and installed the v.23 I586 rpm thinking it would overwrite the earlier version but now YAST shows both versions installed...

I also tried to uninstall v.19 with smart package manager and it failed also both YAST and SMART gave the same errors ie:  

ipblock                   0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.71986: line 12: -preun: command not found

error: %preun(iplist-0.19-2.1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 127

So how do I do a clean uninstall in opensuse 11.0 (I have tried the aptitude purge iplist command mentioned in other forums and suse gives “aptitude – command not found).

I would like to do a clean uninstall of both shown versiond so I can start with a clean install of the new v.24

Issue 2:

Iplist v23 seems to be working except when I reboot iplist comes up unenabled, the daemon is running but nothing is blocked until I enable with the GUI or command line.  This happens when I boot in KDE 3.5, KDE4, or GNOME.

How do I get iplist to start up enabled on bootup in suse 11.0 ?

Thanks

• uljanow

uljanow - 2008-11-15

In order to remove all installed packages related to iplist try (as root) :

rpm --erase --allmatches --noscripts iplist
      rpm --erase --allmatches libnfnetlink
      rpm --erase --allmatches libnfnetlink0
      rpm --erase --allmatches libnetfilter_queue
      rpm --erase --allmatches libnetfilter_queue1

It's ok If you get an error message saying lib* is not installed. After that the commands (as root)

find /etc /usr/sbin -name *ipblock* 2>&/dev/null
      find /etc /usr/sbin -name *iplist* 2>&/dev/null
      rpm -qa | grep iplist

shouldn't list any files. To install the latest version follow the instructions on http://iplist.sf.net/download.html since there is a new repo for opensuse available.

Issue 2
      If the autostart fails then it might be related to another firewall applications that override the rules inserted by ipblock. I've tested the build-in firewall of opensuse11 in combination with iplist and autostart works.

• strawdg

strawdg - 2008-11-15

Uljanow -

Thanks for the input,

Issue 1 seems to be resolved now, some of the steps were out of order and the find /etc /usr/sbin -name ipxxxxx 2>&/dev/null commands gave a redirect error, but that was taken care of by checking the directories directly in a root terminal.

Issue 2 is still a problem...

autostart does seem to work but iplist comes up in disabled mode on a reboot which is the problem I was trying to address.

The only firewall I have running is the built-in firewall in suse 11.0.

Another interesting problem with this issue is that when I stop and restart my wireless connection, then open ipblock it also comes back up disabled....

This is somewhat disconcerting because reboots and wireless connecting are exactly when I want iplist to be enabled so that when my wife is using the computer she doesn't have to remember to re-enable iplist (plus she would never remember the root password so she could).

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated !!!

• uljanow

uljanow - 2008-11-16

Hm, looks like opensuse restarts the firewall if an interface is brought up. Is the autostart issue fixed when you try the following :

echo "#!/bin/sh" > /etc/sysconfig/network/if-up.d/Z-ipblock
      echo "/etc/init.d/ipblock restart" >> /etc/sysconfig/network/if-up.d/Z-ipblock
      chmod 755 /etc/sysconfig/network/if-up.d/Z-ipblock

• strawdg

strawdg - 2008-11-16

Ahhhhh.... yes that seems to have taken care of the issue, at least on this machine.  If I have the issue on other machines or desktops I will let you know.

This makes an already great application better and much more foolproof.

Many thanks for your quick response and the time you spent on these issues.  Being new to Linux I would have spent many more hours than I already have trying to figure out how to do these things.

If I may suggest, it would be nice if this fix were incorporated into your next repo to opensuse..

Thanks again

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

I had same issue and the solution fixed it.
      I opened a port 9032 for pytivo in opensuse firewall.
      i have a suggestion, if possible make this setting a part of the installation.

Thanks

• uljanow

uljanow - 2008-11-20

It's already in latest version 0.24-19.1 .

Regards,
      Serkan

• uljanow

uljanow - 2008-11-20

It's already in the latest version 0.24-19.1 available from the repository.

Regards,
      Serkan