2019-11-15
  • Erik

Erik - 2019-06-14

Hey, I've tried IfcBlender for 2.7x and it works great, but since I've
    switched to 2.8 now, is there a version somewhere where basic import will
    work? If so, how do I install it?
    I've converted another much smaller addon to 2.8 and it was quite a lot of
    work to search for all the changes in the API, but if it's not available
    and noone working on it, I might just try to do it and make a pull request.

Thanks, Erik

• Erik

Erik - 2019-06-17

Nice, yes it worked on some sample .IFC files I found. Unfortunately when I imported one building from work, it took over 30 minutes.. It did import fine though. 6000 objects. But something must be wrong when it takes so long. I'm not a very good python programmer but I will try to add some timers and see if I can debug it for fun. :)

Also because it only uses 20% CPU now, thinking maybe importing could be made multithreaded? Using the technique from this example: https://docs.blender.org/api/blender2.8/info_gotcha.html#strange-errors-using-threading-module

//Erik

• Erik

Erik - 2019-06-18

Ok I timed the code and it seems like 90% of the time is when Iterator.Next() is called so I don't think there's anything to do about the Blender code.. Actually creating the meshes is very fast. It's somewhere deeper.

• Thomas Krijnen

Thomas Krijnen - 2019-06-18

Yeah, it's just an interface to the native C++ code, which is single threaded. Multi-threading will likely arrive within weeks/months. Other performance improvements will likely arrive as part of hybrid geometry handling between CGAL and Open CASCADE.

• Erik

Erik - 2019-06-18

Hmm, I tried IfcConvert.exe (0.4.0) to Collada on the same file and it took 16 seconds instead of 30 minutes for the Blender importer. Shouldn't that do basically the same thing?

• Kasper Vestergaard

Hi, I got the ifc tools you provide for Blender 2.8x , but it appears the available Blender 2.80b is still off the 2.7 branch and your export add-on does not accept this build as 2.8x... Any suggestions?

• Alexander Lundmark

Hi,

I used the latest build from above with 2.8 and it works fine.

A workflow question that maybe somebody can help me with: how can I replace the imported file with a new updated one? Deleting the geometry and reimporting doesnt work well, some instance data still remains in the project file.

• Thomas Krijnen

Thomas Krijnen - 2019-08-19

some instance data still remains in the project file.

Can you explain what happens precisely? Are there errors or invalid results reimporting a file?

• Alexander Lundmark

Hi, there's invalid results reimporting the file.

I imported an IFC from revit, deleted all visible geometry and reimported a new IFC where the windows had been changed. The hole in the wall updated correctly but the window geometry appeared as in the first IFC import.

• Thomas Krijnen

Thomas Krijnen - 2019-09-02

Yes indeed, this makes sense. I created an issue https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/661 for this because it should be addressed.

• Alexander Lundmark

By purging orphaned meshes I can import an updated geometry without problems.

• Alexander Lundmark

By purging orphaned meshes I can import an updated geometry without problems.

• lukas

lukas - 2019-11-15

What is Dion Moult doing? (BlenderBim.org)
    What are the guys from FreeCAD doing? Bernd, Yorick and co.
    I hope you share each other your progress and issues?

Multithreading the import would be great...

Good Luck an continuation,
    And many, many 1000-thanks for your efforts.
    Lukas

Last edit: lukas 2019-11-15