Help
jnoordzij
2018-02-07
2018-03-07
  • jnoordzij

jnoordzij - 2018-02-07

Hi,

I tried the following two lines from command prompt

C:\PROXSYS\ifcconvert>ifcconvert.exe C:\PROXSYS\ifcconvert>test.ifc C:\PROXSYS\ifcconvert>test.igs
    C:\PROXSYS\ifcconvert>ifcconvert.exe C:\PROXSYS\ifcconvert>test.ifc C:\PROXSYS\ifcconvert>test.stp

The test.igs and test.stp files are created. But... they're both 0 kb.
    Am i doing something wrong?
    .obj file was succesful !

Furthermore, is it also possible to batch convert a pile of ifc's to stp at once, by drag and drop onto the .exe?

Thanks .

Last edit: jnoordzij 2018-02-07
  • Stinkfist

Stinkfist - 2018-02-07

Hi, Can you confirm that what you wrote are the actual commands? The line breaks seem off.
    The usage should be: IfcConvert [options] <input.ifc> [<output>]
    So in your case something like:

C:\PROXSYS\ifcconvert>IfcConvert.exe test.ifc test.igs

As for your second question, yes, it is possible for a single file, but currently requires changing this line https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/blob/master/src/ifcconvert/IfcConvert.cpp#L52 and recompiling IfcConvert yourself. Better way would be to create a batch file, say ConvertToStep.bat, which would invoke IfcConvert and pass the desired parameters along with the input filename along.

Last edit: Stinkfist 2018-02-07
    • jnoordzij

jnoordzij - 2018-02-08

Thanks Stinkfist! What I was doing wrong is typing the full path before test.ifc and test.igs. By following your example it worked out. Great!

Now for the batchconvert.. I am sorry but I do not understand what to do.
      What do you mean by recompiling IfcConvert myself?
      How do I create a .bat file? And how to pass parameters towards input and output ?
      Is there also a way using command line inputs to batchconvert files?

I am sorry I am pretty newb to all this :) your help is much appreciated. many thanks.

Last edit: jnoordzij 2018-02-08
  • Stinkfist

Stinkfist - 2018-02-08

A simple sketch for the batch file (create to the same folder where IfcConvert resides):

.\IfcConvert.exe %* output.stp
    pause

%* means that all the arguments of the batch file are passed on as is. For multiple input files you need to break %* into multiple filenames and invoke IfcConvert with a unique output filename in a for-loop for each input file.

Last edit: Stinkfist 2018-02-08
  • jnoordzij

jnoordzij - 2018-02-14

I'm sorry but I could use some more help with this.

Should it be like

FOR %* IN (test1.ifc,test2.ifc,test3.ifc) DO ConvertToStep.bat

with ConvertToStep.bat being your exact sketch?

Because that doesnt work. I get

[Error] Unable to parse .ifc file or no geometrical entities found

Last edit: jnoordzij 2018-02-14
  • jnoordzij

jnoordzij - 2018-02-14

I've done something else now. I've used excel to create the commands using string concatenation:

ifcconvert.exe test1.ifc test1.stp
    ifcconvert.exe test2.ifc test2.stp
    ifcconvert.exe test3.ifc test3.stp
    ifcconvert.exe test4.ifc test4.stp

When I copy paste these 4 cells into the cmd line at once then all 4 step files are created in 1 go :) yay!

Nevertheless I would still like to learn how to reach the same result using only commands/loops/batch files. If you have any advice on this, please let me know!

Last edit: jnoordzij 2018-02-14
  • Thomas Krijnen

Thomas Krijnen - 2018-02-19

Windows batch scripting is really not my expertise. Perhaps something like the following would work.

FOR %%f IN (test1.ifc,test2.ifc,test3.ifc) DO IfcConvert.exe %%f %%f.stp

• Stinkfist

Stinkfist - 2018-03-07

Sorry about the late reply. Thomas is on the right track, although I did not quite manage to get this work, this should look like a decent starting point:

for %%f in ("%*") do call .\IfcConvert.exe "%%~f" "%%~nf.stp" --add-some-param-
    -if-needed

In this version I'm trying to replace the file extension instead of simply appending it to the original filename. Breaking %* to multiple filenames didn't quite work, so if you figure that out, the script should work.

Last edit: Stinkfist 2018-03-07