Menu

Problems with installing development version

Help
2023-09-23
2023-10-02
<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)
  • Kyle Rickards

Kyle Rickards - 2023-09-29

Ok I have done that - will everything be gone from /usr or wherever also?

Should I have one last go at trying again and which version should I attempt? As I say everything was fine until Tuesday and I think it was 0.91

• Kyle Rickards

Ok, tried every version now of IDJC and no dice with different errors, from 0.8.x upwards so that's the limit. Short of changing the OS which I won't do or using the laptop to broadcast which is difficult - I think that's every possibility exhausted but thank you for looking into it this week.

• Kyle Rickards

I am curious why running that installation on Tuesday that has caused everything to break and why I cannot put it back to how it was (notwithstanding the timeshift issue and the fact that I have an image but I do not know which part I am restoring specifically). That really has disappointed me.

• Stephen Fairchild

It's possible the timeshift undid all the software updates over the months and years as well as reverted the package list so the system then thinks really old packages are up to date.

If that is what happened it can be remedied with the steps below.
      Grabbing the latest package list is as easy as...
      sudo apt update
      Updating according to the package list is as easy as...
      sudo apt upgrade

Obviously the update step is performed first.

• Kyle Rickards

Kyle Rickards - 2023-09-30

Apologies I think we're talking at crossed purposes. The timeshift was two years old so I couldnt lose valuable documents and I didnt know specifically what I needed to bring back to get IDJC back. This timeshift is from wednesday this week which i created when I was trying to update to Mint 20 and thus install idjc new. That went badly wrong so i restored back to wednesday morning this week. The only thing i did (foolishly) was try and update idjc on tuesday evening and now this has all happened. I didnt chnage anything else which is why im so confused by turn of events

• Kyle Rickards

Kyle Rickards - 2023-09-30

To clarify, my broadcast machine has run fine for months if not years, using idjc with python is python3 install method. Sadly I can't remember the version number but i think 0.91. The problems arose when trying to update to later idjc on tuesday night. I am unable to return to Tuesday mornings state. I have changed the default of python to both 2 and 3 and that doesnt work. Updating mint does not work as i get stuck at downgrading packages. I cannot do a clean install as i do not wish to lose valuable data and every other package and program works correctly - so it seems an impasse. I cant see a new version of idjc helping as that will still point me to Mint 20 or above which I cannot install. I am open to any suggestion to try but I cannot see any working after a week.

ETA so the options i think are, boot into windows and use play it live, or use mixxx, or use a laptop for idjc (whuch then means i cant stream to mixcloud jointly) and which i dont have space for.

Further edit: again i would take an older version of idjc again a hertbeat if it just worked on 19.3

Last edit: Kyle Rickards 2023-09-30
  • Kyle Rickards

Kyle Rickards - 2023-10-02

I have successfully fixed IDJC back to the version which worked as of last Tuesday 26th September, version 0.8.16

👍
<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)