Menu

Hodoku on Mac cannot open (or even see) .hsol files

Help
2023-06-27
2023-06-30
  • Elisabeth Atems

Elisabeth Atems - 2023-06-27

The File -> Open Puzzle File menu option is useless because saved .hsol files cannot be seen in the File Picker dialog.

Hodoku version: 2.2.0
    Java version: 1.0
    MacOS version: Ventura 13.1

Does a workaround exist?

Last edit: Elisabeth Atems 2023-06-27
  • CCV

CCV - 2023-06-28

It is possible that the program dialog is showing a location other than where the .hsol was actually saved. Try saving a puzzle again and take note of where the file is placed. Then, to open the saved puzzle, navigate to the same location using the dialog.

I'm not a Mac user, but hth.

• Elisabeth Atems

Elisabeth Atems - 2023-06-28

Thank you, but this is definitely not the issue. In fact, the dialog does not even show subdirectories of the outermost subdirectories of a user's home directory, so it is not even possible to save it anywhere else. In other words, the only directories under my account that are accessible through the dialog are of the form ~/<directory>. For example, under my account there is a subdirectory called Documents, which contains umpteen subdirectories, including the one where I would like to save my .hsol files. But if I navigate inside ~/Documents, no subdirectories are even displayed in the dialog. All of my .hsols are saved in ~/Desktop because it is possible to save it there, and that way they are easily accessible.</directory>

I wonder if the problem isn't in Java rather than Hodoku, as it would be more trouble than it's worth for Hodoku, running under Java, to be hacking the file picker dialog, which is a standard MacOS widget. But if Java is rolling its own dialog, that might account for it.

• CCV

CCV - 2023-06-29

Hmm.. I notice if I go directly to Documents, it opens a version saved to OneDrive. Going to my User Account/Documents opens the locally stored directory including all subdirectories. I actually have one .hsol saved directly in my User Account. The default option does seem to be Desktop. ?

Probably no help to you, sorry, unless I wanted to mess with my wife's iPad to see what happens there. Not likely to happen tho..

Anyway, in case you might be interested, there has been some progress made with HoDoKu over on GitHub. For example, https://github.com/CCV54/HoDoKu/discussions/5

Last edit: CCV 2023-06-29
  • Elisabeth Atems

Elisabeth Atems - 2023-06-29

Thanks for the GitHub link, I will check it out. I did install the latest Java on my Mac but the result is the same - I still cannot see any subdirectories deeper than the first level under my home directory. I think the default option is whichever directory was last opened in the dialog - though maybe the first time you use it, it is ~/Desktop.

• CCV

CCV - 2023-06-30

Yes, the 'default' location is the latest used. Interestingly though, when
      I open a duplicate HoDoKu from a .jar - that is, a new instance of it from
      the same file from which a customised version of the program is already
      running - then all settings in the duplicate are at Default.

Yes, a good idea to update Java as well. Sorry I can't be any more help.

On Thu, 29 Jun 2023 at 22:16, Elisabeth Atems elisatems@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Thanks for the GitHub link, I will check it out. I did install the latest
      Java on my Mac but the result is the same - I still cannot see any
      subdirectories deeper than the first level under my home directory. I think
      the default option is whichever directory was last opened in the dialog -
      though maybe the first time you use it, it is ~/Desktop.

Hodoku on Mac cannot open (or even see) .hsol files

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in <
      https://sourceforge.net/p/hodoku/discussion/907403/>

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit <
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/>

• CCV

CCV - 2023-06-30

Yes, the 'default' location is the latest used. Interestingly though, when I open a duplicate HoDoKu from a .jar - that is, a new instance of it from the same file from which a customised version of the program is already running - then all settings in the duplicate are at Default. It's the same when, for whatever reason, the automatically saved .hcfg is deleted and the program is relaunched. Maybe try that? In Windows it's in C:\Users\current user\AppData\Local\Temp, and some equivalent location on Mac.

Yes, a good idea to keep Java updated as well. Sorry I can't be any more help.

Last edit: CCV 2023-06-30

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel