Menu

How to draw lines between cells

swuser
2020-09-11
2022-08-14
  • swuser

swuser - 2020-09-11

Hdodku v2.2.0

When I ask for "next tip" for remote pair in learning mode, I get a puzzle which shows dotted lines between cells. Is there a way for a user to draw these lines?

• David Nicholls

David Nicholls - 2022-08-14

As suggested in other replies, you can save the puzzle in image format (say 800*800 pixels) and use a drawing program. I use Paint3D in Windows 10 because it has Select and multi-step Undo buttons. These only work with 3D objects, not 2D. There isn't a 3D line object, so I draw narrow cubes (also use a 2-pixel pen). You have to rotate the simulated line if necessary. If a chain doesn't produce any candidate eliminations, you can undo your links one by one to search alternative paths.
      I use a Concrete hint and filters before saving the image. Filter on the digit for X-chains and filter XY for XY-chains. For X-chains you can draw in all the strong links first in, say, red, then try connecting them with blue weak links.
      Incidentally, from memory Paint (not Paint3D) allows a variety of lines and you can fill cells from the paint-pot tool, but I coudn't undo lines.

• CCV

CCV - 2020-09-12

Sadly, no. It was one feature request (or more) that Hobiwan appeared willing to consider, but never came to fruition. If you know the next step is remote pair, then you can use the Concrete Hint button to find which candidates are involved. Use Filter on either one and look for a series of connections between 4, 6 or possibly 8 cells. It's exactly like a 2-Sting Kite, Turbot Fish or (where more than 4 cells are involved) an X-chain, except for their being two candidates instead of one in each cell.

• CCV

CCV - 2020-09-13

Colouring Cells is one way to look for the "strong, weak, strong etc.) links for this type of Chain.
    Concrete Hint isn't really required, in this case, seeing that the candidates are displayed in Solution Path. On the other hand, the red Hint Button, marked with a "X" can be used to remove displayed hints.
    This is a simple example, equating to a 2-String Kite, where the candidates can be excluded from the cell "seeing" both ends of the Chain.

hth

• swuser

swuser - 2020-10-26

Thank you!

• forumer

forumer - 2020-12-05

Now I'm getting into AIC loops and finding that drawing lines is needed
      even more. I'm looking into digital pens which may or may not provide that
      facility or my laptop may not even provide that facility.

Is there some other software I can use?

Thank you.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 2:51 PM swuser globetrotcom@users.sourceforge.net
      wrote:

Thank you!

How to draw lines between cells
      https://sourceforge.net/p/hodoku/discussion/907402/thread/1ff42c78c8/?limit=25#363f

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/hodoku/discussion/907402/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• CCV

CCV - 2020-12-05

Depends on whether your laptop screen is touch-enabled or not. If not, then pens won't do it for you. I gather there are laptops with touch screen capability, which, I imagine, would be great for this purpose.

Failing that, I guess the only option is to take a screenshot of your game and draw on it. I would recommend the GIMP, as it is cross-platform and free. I'm none too familiar with the built-in image editing tools available (for Windows), but they seem to lack the required functionality. You can still draw on images in MS Paint and, the newer, Snip & sketch, but with very limited options. In Paint 3D you can make curved lines or straight lines, but the straight lines are limited to horizontal, vertical and diagonal. No dashed lines either, but, I suppose, you could use alternating colours.

The GIMP can make straight lines at any angle, and you can create curved and/or dashed lines using the Path Tool + Stroke Path..
        It's not the easiest program to master, and I haven't had much practice with the Path tool, but I'm willing to help where I can. There are also many excellent video tutorials on using the GIMP.

Last edit: CCV 2020-12-06
      • CCV

CCV - 2020-12-06

P.S. In Paint 3D you can use the triangle shape tool to create the arrow endings for the lines. Takes a bit of tweaking to get them the right size and angle...
        Similarly, in the GIMP you can use the Free Select Tool (holding down Shift key, for straight lines) to draw a triangle and use Bucket Fill to colour the selection. Again, it takes a bit of practice to get it the right shape. There's always Undo, if it doesn't turn out how you want on first, second etc. attempt. hth

• CCV

CCV - 2020-12-06

P.P.S. The GIMP has the advantage of you being able to use new transparent layer(s) for your lines. That way you can erase them, if need be, without touching the underlying layer.

• CCV

CCV - 2020-12-06

Looking at the hint markers, in the example attached, I'd suggest you could use Colour Candidates just as well. Colour Cells might do it in this case, but that would amount to something like an X-Chain in 9 only and not a proper AIC.

Last edit: CCV 2020-12-06

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel