Menu

Gujin Does Not Appear to See CD Rom Drive or USB Disk On An Older MSI Board (875P Neo)

Alex Craig
2015-12-12
2015-12-14
  • Alex Craig

Alex Craig - 2015-12-12

Greetings,

I have 3 Windows 2000 Servers built on older MSI boards (MSI-6758 875P Neo).

While they will boot from CDROM using a Windows 2000 Server Install CD and some other older program installation CD's, they will not boot from an EaseUS Recovery CD which I believe uses a Windows 7 WinPE 3.0 boot architecture.

Note: The bios boot order is:

1. floppy drive
    2. CDROM drive
    3. a SATA disk which contains the OS & various apps

The machine will boot using Gujin 2.8, but does not appear to be able to read the CDROM or USB ports.

It only finds two disks on the first screen:

0: EBIOS 0x80, size 74GB, 3 partitions > this is a SATA disc containing the OS & various apps
    1: BIOS, 0x00, C/H/S: 80/2/18, size 1440 KB > I presume this is the floppy drive

It does not say it finds the CDROM drive, athough it there is a message stating: "keeping CDROM emulation on bios 0xFF"

The CDROM drive does not spin up as Gujin boots from the floppy drive.

Also, if I put a CD in the drive which will boot the machine, Gujin still does not find the drive.

I also tried using Gujin to boot from USB where the USB drive where I changed the boot order to have the USB drive show as 2. in the order above.

The 2nd Gujin screen shows 3 ways to boot from the SATA drive which do work. Of course, my goal is to get the machines to boot from the recovery disk.

I read through many of the forum posts trying to find gujin setting changes which might enable gujin to find the CDROM or USB drives. Normally, I am able to solve these problems myself. However, in this case after at least 3 hours of research, I was unable to make it work.

Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Alex Craig

• Etienne LORRAIN

Etienne LORRAIN - 2015-12-14

Hi Alex,

The BIOS do not support CD/DVD drive, you have to ask Gujin to do a direct probe of the hardware - i.e. directly detect if there is one (or more) IDE interface and then send direct ATA commands to see if there is ATAPI devices (CD/DVD drives) and if they are loaded with a CDROM/DVD.
    It is not active by default because some IDE interfaces have been replaced by AHCI, and sometimes the AHCI interface are only partially emulating IDE (i.e. hardware bugs). You may also have a BIOS switch to select IDE or AHCI in the DISK BIOS setup, try to force IDE if AHCI does not work (i.e. does not emulate correctly IDE).

So go to Gujin setup screen, and enable probing for IDE, then enable probing for ISO filesystems, and you should be able to see your CDROMs...
    I am assuming you are not starting Gujin from DOS but directly loading Gujin from BIOS here, Gujin from DOS will not boot an ISO El-Torito CDROM (file open but not closed in DOS).

Best Regards,
    Etienne.