Menu

More issues with audio

Help
2014-02-06
2014-06-17
  • Sjoerd Tieleman

Sjoerd Tieleman - 2014-02-06

Hi, I've been working some days now on trying to get audio to work correctly when using DashCast. Unfortunately, no success.

I've seen that DashCast requires an mp2 stream currently, otherwise it will complain about audio resampling not available:

Audio resampling is needed, but not supported by your version of DashCast. Aborting.

Specifically, it seems to occur (my guess) because my mp2 stream is not in the correct sample format, i.e. "s16p" instead of "s16". I can't seem to get ffmpeg to generate something in the correct format, something that can be DASHed by DashCast as such:

DashCast -conf dashcast.conf -v bunny.mp4 -a bunny.mp2 -live-media -npts

Any tips on how you can generate a compliant mp2 stream that doesn't need audio resampling? Much appreciated!

My conf file contains:

[v1]
    type=video
    width=640
    height=360
    bitrate=1024000

[a1]
    type=audio
    bitrate=128000

Kind regards,
    Sjoerd.

• Romain Bouqueau

Romain Bouqueau - 2014-02-06

Hi Sjoerd,

As a GPAC contributor, it is one of my big regrets that we don't have enough resources to fix more things in DashCast (the initial contributor doesn't contribute anymore).

To support AAC (or any codec you want), you have a look at this nice patch from a user: https://sourceforge.net/p/gpac/discussion/287547/thread/0c6a9e71/

The basic issue comes from 1) FFmpeg outputting formats for codecs that it is not able to reencode (e.g. s16p versus s16...) and 2) DashCast not knowing about the data when passing it between modules (e.g. decoder to encoder) hence loosing all hope to convert it properly.

I'm sure this will be fixed at one point. Even with a quick-and-dirty fix in DashCast if several people ask for it. And as usual: any help or feedback is warmly welcomed.

Thanks,

Romain

• Sjoerd Tieleman

Sjoerd Tieleman - 2014-02-07

Thanks for the tip! I've patched the source and got it to work with aac (albeit only 1 audio channel for some reason).

• Romain Bouqueau

Romain Bouqueau - 2014-06-17

FYI the AAC was solved months ago. Please don't forget to compile your FFmpeg with the '--enable-avresample' flag. DashCast now enables AAC by default.