Menu

Mahler-rep: A self-replicating Universal Turing Machine built with the Devore ruleset

elliott
2019-10-15
2019-11-28
  • elliott

elliott - 2019-10-15

https://github.com/ejmahler/mahler-replicator

Mahler-rep is a self-replicating universal turing machine built with the Devore ruleset. I'm very interested in the idea of a computer built out of cellular automata, so it's been my pleasure to work on this project.

I originally started by making tweaks to the "Devore-rep" replicator packaged with Golly. Over time, I found myself making more and more substantial changes until I had completely redesigned the machine. As of this writing, it finishes a copy of itself 160x faster than Devore-rep!

"Mahler-rep.rle" has the replication ready to go if you want to test it out. If you'd like to experiment with the machine, "Mahler-body.rle" has a copy of the machine without any program encoded into it, and "make-Mahler-tape.py" contains a program and compiler for the machine.

My hope is to eventually get this packaged with Golly. I would love to be able to share this work with as many people as possible.

I had to make a few updates to the ruleset to fix a couple sheathing and signal propagation problems. The codd folder has a pattern deonstrating each of the failures, so I've included a similar pattern called "rule_fixes.rle". I made sure that all the packaged Devore examples still run with the updated rules.

I also included a couple demos of interesting circuits I discovered along the way: the switch and the bounce coder both take previously bulky circuits and shrink them down to almost nothing. Check out switch.rle and bounce_coder.rle for examples.

Please let me know what you think!

Last edit: elliott 2019-10-15