Menu

Solaris Status

2006-01-28
2012-09-15
  • Jeffrey Creem

Jeffrey Creem - 2006-01-28

At the moment there is a single GNAT FSF (GCC) version posted for Solaris (8). The builds were being done on an old Ultra 1 that ended up taking about 24 hours to do a full build.

This is a real killer when trying to develop/update semi-automated scripts to build this stuff.

In any case, I just upgraded to a dual processor blade 2000. My first priority will be (after getting it configured) to build packages for Solaris 10.

I may look into dual booting to get packages for older solaris versions but only if there is a demand. So, if anyone cares about anything other than Solaris 10, drop a note in here.

• Simon Wright

Simon Wright - 2006-05-06

I have an install of Solaris 10 x86 under VMware, and a colleage has built gcc-4.0.2 for that release (languages=ada,c only, built to install /opt/gcc-4.0.2). So I will check it out and let you all know ...

• Jeffrey Creem

Jeffrey Creem - 2006-05-06

I probably should have replied to my original post a while ago anyway.

We do have newer Sparc Solaris 10 packages now for 4.1.0 but at the moment nothing for Solaris x86.

Having a decent 4.0.2 x86 including Ada as starting point would certainly help make it easier for me to make a package in the same format as the 4.1.0 version. So, let us know.

• Simon Wright

Simon Wright - 2006-06-13

It seems to work for the limited test I've done (building tash). Where would you like it to be uploaded? with what filename? the paths are eg /opt/gcc-4.0.2/lib/gcc/i386-pc-solaris2.10/4.0.2 so that looks like gnat-i386-pc-solaris2.10-4.0.2.tar.gz or nearby. 40 MB.

• Jeffrey Creem

Jeffrey Creem - 2006-06-15

Would you be willing/interested in using it as a bootstrap compiler to create a package based on 4.1.0 setup like the rest of the GNUAda Solaris packages (using the scripts from SVN)?

If not, we can probably find a spot to upload it and I can do a VMware X86 install at somepoint.

• Simon Wright

Simon Wright - 2006-06-17

I had a go but was a tad baffled by the scripts; not obvious how to use them. Also there's a lack of motivation, I don't develop on Solaris.
              I tried building outside the scripts (ie by hand) but failed because of a missing command 'rc', no idea what that is!
              So I've used scp to put the binary on SF at /home/groups/t/tc/tcladashell/tmp/gcc-4.0.2-sol10-x86-bin.tar.gz -- let me know when you've retrieved it, I don't think it should stay too long.

• Jeffrey Creem

Jeffrey Creem - 2006-06-17

I've got it. At some point I'll have to setup that vmware solaris box I've been thinking about.