Menu

Add GDB, GtkAda

2005-12-26
2012-09-15
  • Jeffrey Creem

Jeffrey Creem - 2005-12-26

I am creating RPMs for Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 for GNAT as we speak.

I think we should include gdb as well. GDB tends to be lagging gcc in terms of roll-in of AdaCore patches.

Looks like the most up to date (non-head) Gdb-6.3 is the one from the GNAT GPL edition. Since gdb is always GPL anyway this probably make sense to use for all of the 'modern' GCC based GNAT releases. I'll build that as well and give it some simple testing.

Would be nice to add GtkAda to the mix as well.

How do we feel about adding patches for any of this stuff within the RPMS?

• Jeffrey Creem

Jeffrey Creem - 2005-12-26

Maybe I misunderstand you (or how GPS is packaged) but I thought that debugging under GPS communicated with an underlying GDB executable. So if the installed version of GDB is weak on Ada support, then GPS Ada debugging will also be less than ideal.

As for GtkAda it is probably too much to take on to try to do complete Gtk builds as well.

I did sucessfully create gcc-4.0.2 RPMs for Redhat Enterprise Linux last night but I am regenerating this morning because of a naming convention issue.

I'll upload the gcc RPMS later tonight.

• Martin Krischik

Martin Krischik - 2005-12-28

Shure GPS needs an GDB - so nothing new here. But it won't need the GUI frontend to the debugger.

I already did a (almost) for complete Gtk build for SuSE 9.0 which had a to old Gkt for the current GtkAda. (Actualy one of the low down libraries where outdated. Gtk/GNOME is a version hell.)

But I won't repeat the feast unless I need to.

Martin

• Martin Krischik

Martin Krischik - 2005-12-26

Hello Jeffrey

I guess you are right about the debugger. We will need on.

As I said: I aim to package everything I use for development. The practical aproach.

And for me I aim more in the direction of GPS instead of GDB. That would include GtkAda.

Of corse GtkAda is very dependent on the distribution - on older distributions you might have to recompile the hole of Gtk as well. And that means pango, scollkeeper etc pp.

Martin