Menu

Emacs Ada mode update?

2006-04-06
2012-09-15
  • Steve Whalen

Steve Whalen - 2006-04-06

I've downloaded the cygwin gcc 4.10 Ada compiler source and looked in it for the "new" Emacs Ada mode but couldn't find it.

I've got an AdaCore maintained Emacs Ada mode with a version # 1.160 dated from early 2002.

I've seen references to newer versions of Ada mode that have apparently been distributed with some of the AdaCore versions of GNAT, but I've never been able to find a copy.

I'm sure GPS is wonderful, but I still use Emacs for just about everything, so I'd like to get my hands on the latest Ada mode.

Is there a copy of ada-mode.el somewhere in the many versions of Ada that have been uploaded for this project?

• Rolf Ebert

Rolf Ebert - 2006-06-29

I previously was the official Emacs ada-mode maintainer. I did not look at the sources for several years now.

I am volonteering to collect all different bits and pieces that build upon the latest ada-mode, test them and submit them to the Emacs maintainers. I have already contacted Emmanuel Briot at ACT to see if he has anything in the company repository that is not yet checked into the Emacs repository.

Two data points: ada-mode V3.6 as distributed from libre.adacore.com is marked "ACT revision 1.160". The HEAD revision in the Emacs CVS is marked "ACT revision 1.188". That line was last updated 2003-02-04. I conclude therefor that the latest Emacs (21.3) has a newer version of ada-mode.el than what is in V3.6

Rolf

• Martin Krischik

Martin Krischik - 2006-06-30

I guess that would be good. I too will submit the vim files to the main develoment site - when they are ready.

If you need a staging area as well you are welcome.

Martin

• Martin Krischik

Martin Krischik - 2006-04-06

Emacs mode is not part of the compiler (AdaCore just adds it to the installation package) and as such we have not added it to the any installation and never will.

However, since we are a one stop download area for Ada we would welcome a seperate "gnat-emacs.noarch.rpm" (or "gnat-emacs.tar.bz2") - if we find a maintainer. Maybe you want to jump in.

Officialy the newest Ada mode is available at https://libre2.adacore.com/adamode.

But read the small print "Supported users of AdaCore do not need to download it, since it is available to them through the usual channels.".

Sounds like GNAT/Pro might get an improved version.

Martin

• Steve Whalen

Steve Whalen - 2006-04-06

Thanks for the pointer to what AdaCore calls version 3.6. That is the version I have (from January 2002). I've seen references to substantially later versions and followed the links available, but never found one newer than what I have.

I downloaded the GPL version of GNAT just to see if it had the updated Emacs Ada mode, but it's not there.

If you run across a new one I'd appreciate it if you could stick it somewhere here where we could find it. At the moment, I don't have anything newer than the one on the adamode page at AdaCore, so I guess there's nothing to "maintain" for now.

• Martin Krischik

Martin Krischik - 2006-04-08

Since I work for a supported AdaCore customer I had a look around: Sorry 3.6 is indeed the newest version available. Could well be that the ada-mode is abandoned.

Prehaps you want to take over and adapt the ada-mode yourself. I did the same for vim - the newest ada-mode for vim I could find was 2004 - but I belive it was only a minor change.

Martin

• Simon Wright

Simon Wright - 2006-05-06

I'm pretty sure that 5.04a doesn't include GLIDE (which is Emacs packaged with ada-mode + one or two extras such as convert-prj, which converts a .gpr file to .adp form as needed by ada-mode). 5.03a1 had GLIDE under tools/old or something like that, I am running glide-5.03a-src on this powerbook, few if any problems.

Emmanuel Briot is AFAIK the official ada-mode maintainer still, I guess AdaCore haven't released the latest version because of other pressures. I could chat to him?

• Björn Persson

Björn Persson - 2006-04-08

Have you asked in comp.lang.ada? I seem to recall that the Ada mode for Emacs was discussed there some time ago. I didn't pay too much attention but I think someone had unpublished improvements to offer. A look in Google's Usenet archives might be worthwhile.