Menu

Packages Layout

2006-02-14
2012-09-15
  • Martin Krischik

Martin Krischik - 2006-02-14

Hello,

I begin to think that the current package layout is not as good. Prehaps it would have been beetter to sort the packages by Operating System.

I think that you make dowloading all the files for one OS easier.

Ideas

Martin

• Björn Persson

Björn Persson - 2006-03-02

Let's see if I understand what you mean. The File Release System seems to have three levels: package, release and file, package being the top level. You mean we should have operating systems on the package level, don't you?

Gnuada has at least seven variables: OS distribution, OS version, Gnat distribution, Gnat version, Gnuada release, library, processor ... Mapping those to Sourceforge's three levels isn't entirely straightforward.

I'd suggest OS distribution at the top level, and OS version and Gnuada release at the release level. Then we'd have the packages Suse, Fedora, Windows and so on, and under Suse there'd be releases like 9.2 R2, 10.0 R2 and 10.0 R3. I think that could work.

• Martin Krischik

Martin Krischik - 2006-03-03

I see you understand the problem. Another aspect is that download page will by default only open up the newest release and show a "View older releases from the GNAT/3 package" when there are many releases. This could mean that current releases my move off the main page. I did not fully understand the impact of this when I started off.

I started a "brainstorm" wiki page:

http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Packages/NewLayout

Wiki - because it has [edit] and a forum does not ;-)

Martin