Menu

x86 installer CD available for purchase?

GNU-Darwin
jayseye
2006-09-27
2013-06-04
  • jayseye

jayseye - 2006-09-27

Would the GNU-Darwin x86 Installer CD be suitable for starting from scratch with Darwin on a PC?

What is the current status of that CD -- has it been updated since the version which was based on OpenDarwin 6.6.1?

Although I'd prefer an all-FOSS solution, I could live with Apple's proprietary driver for now, if that would allow upgrading to their latest version of Darwin.

To achieve that goal, would Apple's Darwin CD be a more practical starting point? And do you know whether that is available anywhere for purchase on a CD?

• proclus realm

proclus realm - 2006-10-09

> Would the GNU-Darwin x86 Installer CD be suitable for starting from scratch
      > with Darwin on a PC?

Yes

> What is the current status of that CD -- has it been updated since the version
      > which was based on OpenDarwin 6.6.1?

No, it is the part of the 1.0 distribution of GNU-Darwin, which is a
      fine start.  It is a version of 6.6.1 which has been entirely stripped of proprietary software.

> Although I'd prefer an all-FOSS solution, I could live with Apple's proprietary
      > driver for now, if that would allow upgrading to their latest version of Darwin.

Our preference is firm.  We will not distribute any proprietary
      software.

> To achieve that goal, would Apple's Darwin CD be a more practical starting point?
      > And do you know whether that is available anywhere for purchase on a CD?

In my opinion there is only one reason to do that; which is to reach
      users with free software.  At GNU-Darwin.org we work with a version of
      Darwin which has been stripped of every proprietary driver but the
      problematical one, so that we can distribute free software for the
      current version of Darwin.

Personally, my current work is focussed on the ppc platform, where I
      hope to build an all-FOSS OS installer.  Work proceeds with that, and
      we are hoping to do the same thing on the x86 platform eventually.
      Until we are ready to distribute an all-FOSS OS, the current offerings
      must suffice.

Regards,
      proclus
      http://www.gnu-darwin.org/

• jayseye

jayseye - 2006-10-18

Thanks for the reply -- I understand and respect your position for FOSS and against proprietary software.

Would you please expand on one point: if I purchase the 2-disc GNU Darwin Installer set for x86, is there an upgrade path to the current version of Darwin?

I'm asking with regard to this part of your reply: "...we work with a version of Darwin... so that we can distribute free software for the current version of Darwin."

Thanks again,
        jayseye
        http://www.PrecisionTEQ.com/

• proclus realm

proclus realm - 2006-10-19

> Thanks for the reply -- I understand and respect your position for FOSS and
          > against proprietary software.

You're welcome!

> Would you please expand on one point: if I purchase the 2-disc GNU Darwin Installer
          > set for x86, is there an upgrade path to the current version of Darwin?
          >
          > I'm asking with regard to this part of your reply: "...we work with a version
          > of Darwin... so that we can distribute free software for the current version
          > of Darwin."

There is not an upgrade path that I am aware of.  We have an
          Darwin-8.0.1-x86 installer, which does not do upgrades to my knowledge, and
          which only installs one proprietary binary.  We do not distribute it
          for that reason, and it is for internal production use only, so that we
          can reach the larger Darwin community with the values of software
          freedom.

In the event that Darwin-8-x86 becomes a FOSS OS, then it would not be
          recommended to upgrade to it.  Do a fresh install, with a clean sweep
          of the hard drives, in order to take advantage of the journaling file
          system.  It is worth the extra effort.

Regards,
          proclus
          http://www.gnu-darwin.org/