Menu

Others Format audio support ?

2004-03-16
2013-01-15
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi, just a simple question, Would you like add support for FLAC and Musepack Format ? it's 2 greats codecs audios, Musepack is the best audio format for lossly codec so you can do something ? :-)

Thanks

• Burkhard Plaum

Burkhard Plaum - 2004-03-18

Ohh yes, really. I already located sourcecode and samplefiles for .flac and .mpc files. There are also flac-in-ogg files, supporting these could become a bit messy...

I don't know when I'll have time for this, (currently working on lemuria), but I'll post a message here when it's in CVS.

• Hans-Jürgen Bardenhagen

I was wondering the same for AAC audio playback with gmerlin, also about MPEG-4 video and the MP4 container format. Perhaps you already know the open source FAAC project on SourceForge that provides a decoder with FAAD2 and an encoder with FAAC. Both are capable of reading and/or writing the MP4 file format with the help of the MPEG4IP libraries. FAAD2 has recently released v2.0 and is currently available in CVS as beta version 2.1, and FAAC's latest version is 1.23.5. You can download source code packages from the project's homepage:

http://www.audiocoding.com/download.php

• Burkhard Plaum

Burkhard Plaum - 2004-03-18

The Quicktime demuxer in gmerlin_avdecoder already decodes some mp4 variants, also with mpeg4 video and aac audio.
          If you have problems with some files, I would like to have one or two samples of them.

faad2 is already used by gmerlin_avdecoder, the mpeg4ip stuff is not needed, because we do demuxing ourselves.

Elementary .aac files should also be supported, I know that there are 3 variants, but I didn't look for sample files yet.

> The Quicktime demuxer in gmerlin_avdecoder
            > already decodes some mp4 variants, also with
            > mpeg4 video and aac audio.

Yes, after browsing your site some more yesterday I already suspected this. :-) But I think you should also mention the support of MPEG-2/4 AAC decoding on the page with available formats and/or plugins then, also the MP4 container format.

By the way, is *.m4a (the iTunes/iPod file extension for the MP4 container) also supported yet?

> If you have problems with some files, I would like
            > to have one or two samples of them.

Sorry, I don't have Linux, so I can't test gmerlin at all. I'm editing the Audiocoding.com Wiki now and then and try to find applications that use FAAC or FAAD2 in some way and also support the MP4 file format. Your app seems to be the most advanced on Linux concerning the transcoding abilities for several input and output formats, or am I wrong? As far as I know, the Linux community is still searching for something equivalent to foobar2000 in that respect, and XMMS "don't cut it", or does it?

What about VLC, Xine and Mplayer, do they support easy transcoding of audio and video formats? By the way, the link to the Mplayer site is broken on your "Links" page.

> Elementary .aac files should also be supported, I
            > know that there are 3 variants, but I didn't look
            > for sample files yet.

Right, with ADTS, ADIF or no headers at all (= raw). See the Wiki for an overview of these header formats. FAAC produces either ADTS headers with the default mode or raw AAC files with the -r option, so you could test their playback in gmerlin.

Sorry for the multiple postings, but SourceForge did not confirm that the first had been successfully added at that time.

Anyhow, if you want to encode an AAC file with ADIF headers for testing, you could do this with PsyTEL, still available on http://www.rarewares.org/

• Burkhard Plaum

Burkhard Plaum - 2004-03-19

I can only use linux programs, no windows here

I see, so a short 20 seconds audio-only test sample in different AAC formats would probably be enough for your purpose, right? Then I would encode ct_reference.wav in ADTS, ADIF, raw and MP4 format and upload the files to my homepage.

OK, files are uploaded to http://home.arcor.de/hans-juergen.bardenhagen/ (FAAC v1.23.5 with default settings and PsyTEL with preset -streaming):

ct_faac.mp4
                    ct_faac-adts.aac
                    ct_psytel-adif.aac
                    ct_psytel-raw.aac

If you play the last one with FAAD2-based decoders or plugins, you will notice a wrong display of its properties, because there is no header, and FAAD2 assumes false default values then (AAC profile Main, mono, 128 kbps, length 0:01 min.).

• Burkhard Plaum

Burkhard Plaum - 2004-03-20

Thanks a lot.
                      The .mp4 file works out of the box.
                      The aac files are saved for further investigation.

Can I bother you when I have questions concerning aac files?

Sure, either here (since I'm monitoring this forum) or e.g. on the faac-dev mailing list (where I found your name, too ;-) ) or on the Audiocoding.com web forum.

By the way, does libquicktime also recognize the *.m4a file extension (used by Apple's iTunes and iPod) like openquicktime does? You could easily test this by simply renaming my MP4 file, because that's the only difference.

Yes, after browsing your site some more yesterday I already suspected this. :-) But I think you should also mention the support of MPEG-2/4 AAC decoding on the page with available formats and/or plugins then, also the MP4 container format.

By the way, is *.m4a (the iTunes/iPod file extension for the MP4 container) also supported yet?

Sorry, I don't have Linux, so I can't test gmerlin at all. I'm editing the Audiocoding.com Wiki now and then and try to find applications that use FAAC or FAAD2 in some way and also support the MP4 file format. Your app seems to be the most advanced on Linux concerning the transcoding abilities for several input and output formats, or am I wrong? As far as I know, the Linux community is still searching for something equivalent to foobar2000 in that respect, and XMMS "don't cut it", or does it?

What about VLC, Xine and Mplayer, do they support easy transcoding of audio and video formats? By the way, the link to the Mplayer site is broken on your "Links" page.

> for sample files yet.

Right, with ADTS, ADIF or no headers at all (= raw). See the Wiki for an overview of these header formats. FAAC produces either ADTS headers with the default mode or raw AAC files with the -r option, so you could test their playback in gmerlin.

> for sample files yet.

> for sample files yet.

• Burkhard Plaum

Burkhard Plaum - 2004-03-19

Actually, gmerlin-0.1.x was a playback/transcoding/recording tool.

The upcoming gmerlin-0.3.0 will be roughly the same,
      but the encoding part is not yet written.
      I also don't know yet, if gmerlin-0.3.0 will do everything in one executable or if there will be multiple programs for that.

gmerlin wrote:

> Actually, gmerlin-0.1.x was a playback/transcoding/recording tool.
        >
        > The upcoming gmerlin-0.3.0 will be roughly the same,
        > but the encoding part is not yet written.
        > I also don't know yet, if gmerlin-0.3.0 will do
        > everything in one executable or if there will be
        > multiple programs for that.

It seems that you have answered this with your new release... ;-) I still have some questions about the support for the MPEG-4 standard:

* Will you implement the FAAC encoder library somehow? It's also part of the latest ffmpeg prebeta version, so maybe it's easier to include it in gmerlin, too. On the other hand you wrote that v0.3.0 relies on external libraries now.

* This would enable direct multichannel AC-3 -> AAC/MP4 transcodings, because you already use liba52. Or is there something else missing to do this with gmerlin? What about implementing DTS decoding for a similar purpose?

* Since you already support RTSP, it should also be possible to decode streamed MP4 files, right? Do you plan to include SDP, so that gmerlin users could also decode MPEG-4 live streams?

I announced the release of your new version today in the News forum of Audiocoding.com.

• Burkhard Plaum

Burkhard Plaum - 2004-03-20

FLAC Support is in CVS now.
      MPC is more difficult, because the mppdec code is too messy

• Burkhard Plaum

Burkhard Plaum - 2004-07-26

> * Will you implement the FAAC encoder library somehow?

In principal yes, but it's not No. 1 on the TODO list.
      It's still a question, how encoding will be handled: Make
      a general purpose encoding library (gmerlin_avenc),
      or many single gmerlin plugins based on libquicktime, lame, vorbis, faac...

> * This would enable direct multichannel AC-3 -> AAC/MP4 transcodings

That's right.

> * Or is there something else missing to do this with gmerlin?

No, only the encoding part.

> Do you plan to include SDP

There is already an sdp parser. It's not however not completely finished, I stopped programming after Real-rtsp worked. The rtp part is also not there. Having a link to a
      reliable, standards compliant rtsp mp4 stream somewhere
      in the web would speed up development.

> Having a link to a reliable, standards compliant
        > rtsp mp4 stream somewhere
        > in the web would speed up development.

I don't have an URL for that either, because most of them only worked temporarily. But I guess the best chance to find one would be asking at the MPEG4IP forum, since they mainly work on RTP streaming of MPEG-4 content (mp4live etc.).

Hi Burkhard, your Freshmeat announce for libquicktime made me look at your gmerlin site again, and I found that it already supports all necessary parts for playing aacPlus Shoutcast and Icecast streams (i.e. FAAD2 and internal streaming tools).

But would it work out of the box, or do you have to change something first to have the gmerlin player actually do that? You can find test radio streams with aacPlus on http://www.tuner2.com/ and also on http://www.icecast.org/ when using their search tool with the format "audio/aac". This is the new registered MIME type for all AAC ADTS streams (one header for each frame) over HTTP, so you probably have to adapt gmerlin to that content type.

• Burkhard Plaum

Burkhard Plaum - 2005-01-13

Current CVS plays them out of the box (I tried the streams, from
        somafm). The next release comes in a few days and
        will have this as a public feature.

• Burkhard Plaum

Burkhard Plaum - 2005-01-13

Hmm, I just found that some of the streams have

content-type:audio/aac

in the http header, instead of

Content-Type:audio/aac

Header fields are case sensitive as defined in the
          http standard. Another stupid attempt to prevent
          non winamp programs from playing shoutcast streams?

That's great news, because gmerlin will be one of the first Linux players that can decode these streams then besides VLC, LAMIP and GPAC.

By the way, is it also possible to broadcast (either HTTP or RTP/RTSP) with gmerlin? There is a new Oddsock DSP plugin available for Winamp and foobar2000 that enables AAC broadcasting with libfaac.dll, and the developer mentioned that Linux players could do the same when combining OddcastV3 with JackIt. He also provides a description on his site how to do this:

http://www.oddsock.org/

About the small vs. capital letters for the content type: I would rather think some radio station maintainers have simply mixed them up instead of doing this on purpose. At least the Icecast2 protocol officially supports audio/aac now, and Shoutcast is supposed to do this soon. The Orban developer Greg Ogonowski (aacPlus streaming with Opticodec_PC) told me that Shoutcast v1.9.5 would already support it, but an user at their forum wrote that it wouldn't work yet.

• Burkhard Plaum

Burkhard Plaum - 2005-01-14

The streams from tuner2 play fine now. Yesterday I made
            a small fix for international characters in the shoutcast
            metadata (i.e. the currently played song).

The only problem is, that I must tell my users to
            use the latest CVS version of faad2, because the last
            released faad-2.0 doesn't play them
            (the latest rpm from freshrpms.net also works).
            The next official faad release will hopefully resolve this.

Broadcasting isn't possible right now, but the gmerlin libraries
            contain most neccesary code for writing a broadcasting
            application:
            Decode all kinds of source files and bring them into a unified
            audio format (including e.g. high quality resampling). Only the
            encoding/streaming part is missing.

> The streams from tuner2 play fine now. Yesterday
              > I made a small fix for international characters in
              > the shoutcast metadata (i.e. the currently played song).

Great, I've also updated the short description for gmerlin in the Audiocoding.com Wiki yesterday:

http://www.audiocoding.com/modules/wiki/?page=view/Software+Audio+Players+for+Linux%2FBSD

> The only problem is, that I must tell my users to
              > use the latest CVS version of faad2, because the
              > last released faad-2.0 doesn't play them
              > (the latest rpm from freshrpms.net also works).

Right, I forgot to mention that.

> The next official faad release will hopefully resolve this.

Probably, although I'm not sure when Menno will find the time for that.

Concerning AAC broadcasting with FAAC here's the exact link to the Oddcast "How-To" using Jack for Linux players:

http://www.oddsock.org/tools/oddcastv3_jack/

I don't know if this would work with gmerlin, too.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)