Menu

Auto save of notes?

rickytbf
2020-10-27
2020-11-03
  • rickytbf

rickytbf - 2020-10-27

Hi, I'm testing 1.6 (mostly on MacOS but also trying on Windows), and it appears that note content doesn't save unless you quit the program (contrary to an early comment I saw indicating save on lose of focus). Can you confirm this is the case? If so, any plans to add some auto save capability?

I have concern that data/updates can be lost pretty easily.

This could also help to facilitate a sync/sharing of common notes repo across systems.

Otherwise, I'm loving the tool (tho haven't figured out how the text "highlighting" is supposed to work) so far...

Thx!
    - Rick

• William Chan

William Chan - 2020-10-27

Hi Rick,

it should autosave on lost focus. can you describe the action you do to replicate this? do you see similar behavior in windows?

Regards,
    William

• rickytbf

rickytbf - 2020-10-27

Hi, William,
    I have pointed the repository location to a Dropbox folder (on both macOS and Windows), and monitor for updates when editing notes. There's no file changes until the application is quit. Alternatively, if you make edits on one system (and ose focus), and open the app on the other, I'd expect to see the changes from the first system if they had been saved. That's not the case. Works same way on both systems.

Good news seems that if you kill the javaw process or force quit the app, that at that time it saves the changes - so they aren't lost. (Tho I'm pretty sure one time I didn't see the changes saved.)

• William Chan

William Chan - 2020-10-28

Hi Rick,

I haven't tried to use Dropbox as repository location. But I think for this use case you will need to exit GloboNote to allow the changes to be saved in database files.

Regards,
    William

• rickytbf

rickytbf - 2020-11-01

Hi, Wiliam, fair enough. I like the app a lot and have donated to the cause. :) If there's a chance you can add an auto-save feature or option (so db is updated either on lose of focus or at a timed interval) in the not to distant future, that would be great. (I'll be happy to donate more... ;)) I'm a bit nervious about losing content otherwise.

• William Chan

William Chan - 2020-11-02

Hi Rick,
    Thank you for your support! Please remember to setup up different backup location and turn on auto backup to protect your repository.

• rickytbf

rickytbf - 2020-11-03

Hey, William, thanks, ok, great. Yeah, backup does appear to capture current notes' content, so configured to backup at least hourly.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel