Menu

Checking Fonts and hanging at Close.

2016-12-31
2017-01-07
  • Andrew Clarke

Andrew Clarke - 2016-12-31

macOS Sierra 10.12.2 - Mac OS X 10.12.x Sierra new 11.12.2016

I am finding GIMP is checking fonts each time (20 seconds) also it takes up to 20 seconds to close the program.

Behaviour that was not experienced in previous versions, also not experienced with unstable version 2.9. I have downloaded from gimp.org and again do not experience this behaviour, the program loads within seconds not checking fonts and closes immediately.

• Klaus-dieter Michel

Exactly the same for me.

• Klaus-dieter Michel

I reckon it has something to do with that GIMP cannot find stuff it needs when it starts up and closes and that causes the delays.

Looking particularly for the font issue here I see in Preferences under Folders/Fonts on my machine two entries:

1. /Users/../Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8/fonts
      2. /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/share/gimp/2.0/fonts

The first folder exists but is empty. I guess that's not a problem.
      The second folder didn't exist. Thinking it might help I created one there. Though it doesn't help with the problem at hand.

I'm still convinced that GIMP looks for something during start up and quit which it can't find.

Last edit: Klaus-dieter Michel 2017-01-01
  • Simone Karin Lehmann

Hi,
    I'ved tried to find out what is causing the delays. As you might know, with every GIMP update I'm updating all underlying libraries too in order to get the latest bug fixex and security fixes of thos librariers and tools. With my version of GIMP 2.8.18 one of those versions seems to work not as expected and causes these delays on launching and on quitting GIMP.
    First I thought this will be the pango library, because this library has had a lot og changes since the last update (my version of 2.8.14) Sadly, porting it back to an old version, it didn't solve the issue.

Anyway, to give you a working GIMP 2.8.18 I'll use all the previous versions of these internal libraries an toosl I've included in the 2.8.14 build. I'll only update the main extra plugins gmic and ufraw to their latest versions. This should bring back the old behaviour and remove those delays.

I'm quiet sure, I'll release a 2.8.18p1 version till this Sunday, 08. Jan.

• Simone Karin Lehmann

done :-)
    I've just uploaded the bug fix release: 2.8.18p1