Architecture documentation

Help
sporgenza
2008-05-29
2013-03-22
  • sporgenza

sporgenza - 2008-05-29

Hello everybody,

first of all thanks for the impressive work :)
    Currently, I am a bit puzzled about the cvs contents and wonder what I actually need to get started to be able to further develop GEMS (not some meta-model), what portions are optional (I would like to start with a low complexity), and what are legacy.
    By the way, it seems GEMS is also used to define its own meta-editor. Is it possible to define a new one and replace the current? How could this be achieved best?

Thanks,
    Simon

• Jules White

Jules White - 2008-06-05

First, the most recent version of the code is always available from the CVS repo linked to from:

http://www.eclipse.org/gmt/gems

You will need the packages:

core
      metamodel
      ecore
      metamodel-v2
      metamodel-v2-generator
      metamodel-generator
      styles
      styles-active
      trigger
      visuals
      css-parser
      css-manager

You can definitely replace the metamodel editor. Take a look at the package metamodel-v2-generator and metamodel-v2. These packages contain a replacement for the original metamodel editor and show you how to write an adapater for the code generators.

Thanks,

Jules

• xxx :)

xxx :) - 2009-03-20

Hi, Jules,

There look like not much activities on this project at Eclipse site.  The latest pacakge was June 8, 2008.  I took a look at the roadmap, it mentioned it's going to change the backend to GMF.  Wondering when that would happen?  Also, do you have a timeline post RC4? 

Thanks in advance.

Dafang

• Jules White

Jules White - 2009-03-20

Hi Dafang,

At the moment, we are developing a web-based interface to GEMS. The code for this project is hosted at http://code.google.com/p/gemsjax. After we are done with our first beta of the web-based interface, we are going to start on the next release of GEMS. We wanted to get the web-based interface finished so that we could add features that use it in the next GEMS release. The web-based interface is still early in development. We plan on having the beta of it in a few months.

Thanks,

Jules