Menu

Access violation

Help
2009-11-12
2013-04-25
  • Michael O'Rourke

Whenever I try to run geek.menu, I get the following error message:

"Access violation at address 00403E6C in module 'GeekMenu.exe'. Read of address FFFFFFD0."

Any ideas on how to fix the problem? Help is appreciated, thanks.

• Christopher Litsinger

More details would be helpful, to say the least.  What version of geek.menu are you trying to run?  On what version of Windows?  Where is geek.menu installed?  Can you post the geekmenu.ini file to this thread?

• Steve

Steve - 2009-11-26

I get a similar error;
    Access violation at adress 00401E53 in Module 'Geek Menu.exe'. Read Address 00000000.
    Running GeekMenu Version 0.9 Beta 1 on Windows XP PRO
    Also;
    1. Menu does not load
    2. Tray Icon does not Launch
    3. Menu Icons do not load, I have to Refresh Icons on first launch

• Christopher Litsinger

Any reason you're using 0.9?  The latest stable version is 1.2, which has been out for over a year.

• Manuel Weitzel

Manuel Weitzel - 2010-01-29

Hey,

i am using Geek.Menu 1.3.5.2 Experimental on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 and want to Crypt my Apps and Documents with TrueCrypt.
    I just installed Geek.Menu on my USB-Drive and create an encrypted file named geekmenu.vol on it. The Settings i get from the Documentation of Geek.Menu with TrueCrypt and it seems to work correctly!
    But if i start Geek.Menu and types my password i just get an Error!

Access violation at address 004B595C in module 'GeekMenu.exe'. Read of address 00000000.

What could i try to do that it works correctly?? After this error-messages nothing happens - i can't use my apps and nothing …
    Please help me !!!

Please Excuse my English, it is not soo good because i am german.

Nice Greetz ;-)
    geekcrypter

• jerry

jerry - 2010-02-03

HI,
    I am using Geek.Menu 1.3.5.2 Experimental on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3.
    I also get a similar error;
    Access violation at adress 00401E53 in Module 'Geek Menu.exe'. Read Address 00000000.

1. Menu does not load
    2. Tray Icon does not Launch
    3. Menu Icons do not load, I have to Refresh Icons on first launch

Could you give me some advise fort it?
    Thanks for your reply.

Best regards!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-04-20

I have the same issue.
    I download geek.menu 1.3.6.1 installer,installed it to my thumb driver.When I launch Startgeekmenu.exe I got this:

I press OK and I got this:

The menu didn't show,I have to kill the process manually.
    I'm using windows 7,chinese local.
    I even tested in a virtual machine running windows xp.Whatever where I extract it to,nothing changed.
    Could you tell me what I did wrong?
    Thanks!
    Best regards!

• Christopher Litsinger

David-

Is this error after enabling TrueCrypt, or straight after an install?  Are you installing to an empty drive, or one with a previous PA install?  Was a previous version of geek.menu on the drive?

Thanks,
    Christopher

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-04-24

Hi x0pherl.
    This error appears straight after install.I creat a empty folder like "c:\g\",it's totally clear,I extract "geek.menu.experimental.1.3.6.1.zip" in it.Launch StartGeekMenu.exe and I got the error.I tried to extract in different folders,my thumb driver,but I got the same error.I also tried to install by the exe installer.But nothing changed.I'm not using truecrypt.
    I have tested on my windows 7 laptop,a virtual machine running windows xp mode,my girlfriend's windows 7.I got the same error.I think the only common between them is they're all Chinese versions.Maybe the error is about unicode support?
    Sorry about my English.
    Regards.
    David.

• Christopher Litsinger

David- your English is perfect, no complaints whatsoever.
    It took me a while, but I tracked down a Chinese Windows install to test on and have reproduced the problem.  I'm pretty sure you are correct, it seems to be a unicode issue.  Now that I can reproduce it, I can work to fix it.

Thanks!
    Christopher

• Christopher Litsinger

I have been able to correct the issue with Unicode versions of Windows, but I have to give the next release some thought- Unicode support is important in the ini file itself (to allow for captions, etc) but may render the existing .ini file invalid.  I'll probably solicit opinions on the discussion forum.  But in any case, look for the fix in 1.3.6.2