Menu

Project back in development

2009-10-10
2013-04-25
  • Christopher Litsinger

After not working on geek.menu, I've been starting up development again.  I've completely ripped out the main engine of the application and set it up as a component, which may or may not end up in the main PA fork. 
    Some of the work I've done will break some older configs, so I'll post a conversion application as well. 

Keep your eyes out for version 1.3.5 - should be out very soon.

• Ryan

Ryan - 2009-10-12

**GeekMenu keeps asking me if I want to run the program as if I were installing it fresh but instead opens the geek.menu window but no icon in system tray so something was messed up from the last esperimental release. This is what is said when I click the StartGeekMenu or the main GeekMenu (H:\PortableApps\geekMenu\Data\additionalApps.ini does not exist) so maybe this can be fixed or looked into.**

• Christopher Litsinger

I'll correct this in the next build, but it will be a few days before I can post it. 

In the meantime, those wanting to run 1.3.5 can simply create an empty text file on your removable drive with that file name (replace the H with the appropriate drive letter) - it should let you run the app for now. 

• Aslongasitsfree

Aslongasitsfree - 2009-10-12

Great to hear your version is light years ahead of PA. But I wonder if geekmenu can be setup as an add on to PA so you can uninstall it when new version of PA come out?

• Zarthan

Zarthan - 2009-10-12

So pleased that things are moving along. Thanks for all your work.

• Dagenham

Dagenham - 2009-10-19

I'm so happy to hear that, keep up good work & best regards! :)

• Christopher Litsinger

@aslongasitsfree: not really sure what you're looking for here.  The whole reason geek.menu exists is because of the slow pace of development of PA- there's not really any way to build this as an "add-on" to PA.  John Haller (the PA developer) has access to the code of geek.menu, and my enthusiastic permission to fold it into the main PA release.   You can certainly uninstall geek.menu at any time and revert to the PA menu if you wish to do that.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2009-10-22

Have you considered hosting your code on  or a similar code hosting site?  This would allow the community to get involved in development and encourage forking and ensure continued growth of the project.

: http://www.github.com