Menu

98,02 RC5 feedback

2018-05-04
2018-05-11
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-05-04

Flashhex not working. help needed. stk500 error using uno and nextion 320x240 demo. video explains.
    https://youtu.be/6lZCheqvtnk

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-05-04

YOU NEED FRANK HE IS THE MAN FOR THAT BUT WE ARE SUPPORTING STK600.

HOW DID IT WORK PRIOR TO THE NEW RELEASE? PLEASE POST.

• Peter

Peter - 2018-05-04

Compiled demos and did the "all chips" tests at home (Win 10) and work (Win 7) - usual errors with the demos, some errors with GCASM giving some invalid setting warnings but seem to be the same as those in the included log file.

Programmed OK using PicKit3 IPDCmd.

In the install, are somebody else's test.log and TestAllChips.log supposed to be included or should they be deleted?

A minor issue - if I select "portable mode" and "create desktop icon", it doesn't create the desktop icon. May be intentional?

Last edit: Peter 2018-05-04
    • Anobium

Anobium - 2018-05-04

Thank you. Great news.

Can I confirm you used the new PPTool? to program?

And, I will delete those LOGs. Unacceptable!

Portable mode does not create icons.

Last edit: Anobium 2018-05-04
      • Peter

Peter - 2018-05-04

Yes.
        It was giving me an error (programmer returned code 0) initially and didn't know that I had to use it - maybe in the next release default to some "dummy" programmer that returns a message saying "please set up your programmer using the PP tool"?

If I choose "PicKit3 CLI preserve EEPROM" it won't save the change. It will save all the other PicKit3 options as default programmer, just not the "preserve EEPROM" one for some reason.

I didn't know where it was getting %mplabxipedirectory% from (as it was looking in the wrong place to start with). After overwriting it in the PPTool, I found it in the use.ini file, maybe I should RTFM first.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-05-04

DO NOT EDIT USE.INI. Use PPTOOL/Variables tab. Please do not edit use.ini else we wont know what the errors are.

All ok now?

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-05-04

Anobium said
    YOU NEED FRANK HE IS THE MAN FOR THAT BUT WE ARE SUPPORTING STK600.

HOW DID IT WORK PRIOR TO THE NEW RELEASE? PLEASE POST.

Gcb worked but my fault errors were stk500 wrong port,or using nano-wrong baud. dunno what this is.
    I shall copy nextion includes to stable gcb.
    Spelling of nextion...it's sometimes nexion in code and include---No T !
    The mega328 nextion demo doesn't include nextion, just glcd.

' ----- Set up the Nextion GLCD
        #include <glcd.h>
        #define GLCD_TYPE GLCD_TYPE_Nextion

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-05-04

Stan three questions.

Was the STK500 working in your old installation?

Please do copy NEXTION to the old build. What is the point of giving you a Release Candidate if you start copying stuff about - the email made the ask pretty clear.

Re the TYPO - please state where this is. We can correct. Make a seperate post.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-05-05

PPS Tool has been updated so it should now catch the error when checking for updates, it may even work.

New version should be integrated from the PPS tool sourceforge page.

• Frank Steinberg

Frank Steinberg - 2018-05-05

@Stan

Your Nextion and the Aduino bootloader seem to use the same ports (Pin0/Pin1 Rx/Tx).
    Remove the Nextion connection and try again.

Frank

• mkstevo

mkstevo - 2018-05-05

All appears to be working for me.

Not tried any direct programming or the PPS tool but that isn't a failing in GCB, more a failure on my part to manipulate my Mac to run them.

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-05-05

Frank-re uno rx/tx same port as programmer
    I disconnected nextion and got the error when flash hex then tried gcb tools/edit programmers and says can't run it. Shut down gcb and restart gives same every time.
    I'll reinstall rc5 but see no reason.
    Anobium-I wanted to try nextion include and demo so copied to stable gcb include.
    I found a few nextion errors like fonts 8x16-height width is not availiable font heights in nextion font editor start at height 16, which confused me. \\it must be 8x16 width height.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-05-05

Sorry Stan but that error is caused by taking piece of the RC05 installation. Do you get this error is you do a complete install? This looks like the ini file from the new install. Can I remote control to your setup to investigate?

Re Nextion. Nope. Look in the demos I think have provided the Design templates and fonts.

• stan cartwright

No no Anobium. This the rc5 running on win 7.
    I have avast anti virus running and it complained a lot in the gcb installation.
    I uninstalled rc5 and reinstalled it but same error.
    I re started the pc and this time using edit programmer avast popped up a block and I again clicked accept and the edit programmer worked ok and flash hex worked flashing nextion demo to uno, no errors. sigh!
    I installed rc5 on a win 10 pc that runs avast antivirus as well as defender but turned avast off.
    rc5 installed without a hitch and the nextion demo flashed uno no problem.
    Avast was particularly picky about this version of gcb.
    Hope that's cleared that up. I'll order some modern pics later to test new features.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-05-05

Yes Yes Yes.

This is purpose of a release candidate. Check things out and make sure we are good to go when we formally release. You may have issues with your local installation.

I have avast anti virus running and it complained a lot in the gcb installation.

Did this occur before the error shown in the picture above? To resolve please let use know the offending files and we can get AVAST to update the Virus White Lists.

I uninstalled rc5 and reinstalled it but same error.

You can set AVAST local to ignore these files. Look in the AVAST quarantine for the files that may have been removed by the AVAST software.

I re started the pc and this time using edit programmer avast popped up a block and I again clicked accept and the edit programmer worked ok and flash hex worked flashing nextion demo to uno, no errors. sigh!
      Fancy that. AVAST prompting you to resolve this issue.

It is important you tell use the offending file names. We will then get AVAST, and about 30 other virus product vendors, to add these files the White List.

Avast was particularly picky about this version of gcb.

Not really. This is typical for a new release.

I'll order some modern pics later to test new features.

Good luck. Please check with your Great Cow BASIC community before you order. Some PICs look great but they are not.. and... you need to be sure we support and have tested some of the latest parts.

Help Errors

Can I please get from you the Nextion/Nexion error list please? This is also very important.

• stan cartwright

spelling error

Last edit: stan cartwright 2018-05-05
  • stan cartwright

The gcb recommended nextion font ascii arial does not space correct with large text.

• stan cartwright

lucida console does scale better than arial

• stan cartwright

re avast
    It's only the free version.
    I didn't quarantine any notifications just clicked allow.
    I see no buttons to find out what files were deemed a threat.
    I don't see anywhere obvious in program files/avast/ that suggest files threats.

• Chris Roper

Chris Roper - 2018-05-07

Suggestion:
    PPTool
    Allow an existing entry to be cloned and edited.
    Reasoning:
    Creating an entry from scartch is tedious when you are only needing to change one or two Characters of an existing entry.

Last edit: Chris Roper 2018-05-07
  • Chris Roper

Chris Roper - 2018-05-07

Suggestion:
    PPTool
    Change tab order so that Programmers comes first.
    Reasoning:
    People are likely to need to switch programmers far more often than they will change compiler options.

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-05-07

I agree. What's verbose mean? :)
    It's still complicated looking to me...except com port.
    The script version took a while to get used to. I didn't change any thing other than rem un-rem.
    I did copy arduino uno script and changed the name to nano and changed the baud rate so it flashed...no nano-use uno and change, poor as other arduinos name are shown.
    Tool Variables mean nothing to me.
    Looking at the pptool and I want to flash an arduino nano and I actually realise it's baud setting is different to a uno do I edit arduino uno or add?
    Try edit-If I know, it's command line parameters, edit baud,click ok.
    The command script is just as unintelligable as it was originally...but it's mouse driven...or tab.
    I think it's more complicated.
    This users opininion.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-05-07

Verbose - you get lots and lots of information when compiling.

This is 1000 times better than batch files. There are no scripts to edit or support now.

Tool Variables. Did you see the video? I will do another soon.

You can add new and try with the new baud rate.

Thank you for you opininion - my view this is so much less to maintain and use.

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-05-07

Anobium-"There are no scripts to edit or support now."
    How to flash an arduino nano without editing arduino uno batch file ie command line parameters.
    -c Arduino -b 115200 -P %port% -p AT%chipmodel% -U flash:w:"%filename%":i
    ok it's just change 115200 but where's it say that or have I missed the set baud option?
    In practice changing arduino devices or removing other usb devices changes the com port which is annoying..to me.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-05-07

good idea Stan. you want a drop down for the baud rate.

ok. will investigate. no promises.

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)