Menu

Microchip Hardware give away ...

2018-03-08
2018-07-12
<< < 1 2 3 > >> (Page 2 of 3)
  • Chris Roper

Chris Roper - 2018-06-20

Same, I got my shipping notice yesterday but the Tracking number is invalid.
    Not sure if they have sent by courier or Post Office.
    But as I am away till next wek the courier won't find anyone to sign for it.

• Peter

Peter - 2018-06-20

I've always had the tracking problem with anything I've ordered from Microchip - sample or paid for.
      I think there's something in the small print that says it only works in certain situations.

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-06-20

I got an email it has been shipped by dhl or fedex,not determined.

• Moto Geek

Moto Geek - 2018-06-21

Mine showed up yesterday in a big fedex bag with a big cardboard box. Inside the box was another tiny box with the development board inside. There was at least a 100:1 shipping to product size difference. It was free, so I'm happy. Now to play...

• Pic Fan 1975

Pic Fan 1975 - 2018-06-21

I signed up on a whim, and received mine yesterday as well. (PIC16F18446)

• mmotte

mmotte - 2018-06-22

Mine Showed up today also in a big FedEx bag! Thanx

• kent_twt4

kent_twt4 - 2018-06-22

Today, here too. Hooray!!

• Moto Geek

Moto Geek - 2018-06-23

So a bunch of GCB users got our free prize and are happy. I would like to find another forum where people are cheering... just for fun sake. Is there an MPLAB forum where hundreds of users are doing what we are... "Yay, got my big fedex bag today, can't wait to jam some C down its usb throat"... etc. etc. I'm goin' Google fishing to see what the response is out there.... I must be board.....

• Moto Geek

Moto Geek - 2018-06-23

Wow, I am board...

This reminds me of the good old days when PIC16F controllers were used to decrypt satellite and digital terrestrial/cable TV…

3 Reply1 month ago
    zoobab
    zoobab
    No open source toolchain, no thank you.

0 Reply1 month ago
    Jonathan
    Jonathan
    What, it’s the same enhanced mid-range PIC we’ve come to know and love, right down to the 128-word program memory banks and the PCLATH kludge. sdcc should work just fine. As for flash programming, the spec is open, so the FOSS guys should be on it sooner or later.

0 Reply1 month ago
    RobBrownNZ
    RobBrownNZ
    “…know and love…”?

I’m still carrying the emotional scars of working with these processors 15 years ago. I could never figure out how a vendor could call their architecture “compiler-friendly” when they have an extremely limited hardware stack and a lot of operations are only possible using The One Working Register.

Now I’m flabbergasted that anyone would still be using them. What possible reason could there be?

0 Reply1 month ago
    Singman
    Singman
    Maybe are you too young to understand where the computers come from ? Did you ever tried to program a 8086, 6502, 6800 or Z-80 ?

• Moto Geek

Moto Geek - 2018-06-23

I now have a couple of dev boards from Microchip. I have plenty of fun with them. Apparently there are two types of people... those who get GCB an those who don't... or something like that

• Peter

Peter - 2018-06-26

Mine still hasn't shown up :(

• polyconnect

polyconnect - 2018-06-28

just got mine ;) thanks for the tip

• bed

bed - 2018-06-28

I'm still awaiting the package. I'm greedy to play with how it will work together with Linux

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-06-28

mine arrived today

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-06-29

Installation issues: Do you have other issues?

I have opened a Ticket with Microchip - if you have more errors then I need the evidence and then I can add to the ticket. Ticket #00309614

Installation Issues for Windows 7.xx

1. During the initial installation the device drivers are NOT completed. This is concerning for a user. See 'Driver Software Installation' screenshot. Install and Post Install for Windows 7

2. Post installation. Computer Management shows two devices with Code 28. The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). There is no driver selected for the device information set or element. See attachment.

Install and Post Install

1. As there is NO published documentation for the board - what are the correct drivers installed? HID (what PID/VEN/REV?), Disk Drives. Serial Port? Please clarify.

2. The Windows 7 installation fails to install Virtual Com Port. Why?

Installation Issues for Windows 10.xx

Installation is silent.

1. Post installation. Computer Management shows one device with Code 28. The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). There is no driver selected for the device information set or element. See attachment.

Last edit: Anobium 2018-06-29
  • Anobium

Anobium - 2018-06-29

meanwhile in the Twittersphere... I know you all follow.

https://twitter.com/Great_Cow_BASIC/status/1012377156587048960

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-06-29

I have the same win 7 and 10 installation errors.
    I then installed mplabx on win7 pc but same errors.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-06-29

Ok.

Why, oh why would you install mplabx to resolve this issue? More likely that the ATMEL IDE has the drivers.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2018-06-29

meanwhile on the TwitterSphere... a response from Microchip.

https://twitter.com/MicrochipTech/status/1012682499762327553

• Peter

Peter - 2018-06-29

I get the same issue on Windows 10 with a single unknown device with code 28.

No "virtual COM port" but it does show up as a regular USB COM port and the serial terminal works with COM4 (demo attached) although the output of PORTA.2 seems to be inverted?

I can program fine in GCB IDE with the new programmer, and manually by copying the hex across.

I haven't tried the debugger in MPLAB, I haven't used it before for any chip.

Last edit: Peter 2018-06-29
    • Anobium

Anobium - 2018-06-29

Thank you.

As per documentation. PORTA.2 is inverted.

I recommend the following

#define LEDOn  = 0
      #define LEDOff = 1

#define LED0 porta.2
      dir LED0 out
      LED0 = LEDOn

#define SW0 portc.2
      dir SW0 in
      'enable weak pullup
      WPUC2 = 1

'example
      LED0 = LEDon

Last edit: Anobium 2018-06-29
  • bed

bed - 2018-07-03

Mine has arrived now. I will look at it tomorrow.
    At the delivery paper they tell there will be an upgraded pcb in the future, did you read it too?

Last edit: bed 2018-07-03
    • Anobium

Anobium - 2018-07-03

Not on my paperwork.

Does your board have a revision number?

<< < 1 2 3 > >> (Page 2 of 3)