Menu

Linux GCB

2019-10-17
2019-10-29
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • bed

bed - 2019-10-21

Ps: is it me or is the reply and quote function buggy in this forum? ;-)

• Chris Roper

Chris Roper - 2019-10-21

"Buggy"?
      Downright dysfunctional if you ask me ;>)

• Peter

Peter - 2019-10-21

I added it to the feature requests the other day, I can't find out how you report it as a bug!

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-21

Same age? I'm 65. I still like my creativity can be implemented in gcb basic easily for me.
      There is an expression "never to late to learn". ..er,, I think it is to late to learn new stuff...but I try!
      Was it you who made http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/Typesetter/index.php/Home ?
      The first time I used linux was when ubuntu came out. It was dial up internet and I got a free cd from Holland from a site. dos days and wine ran win dos games same speed as win 98?? can't remember.
      I should have perceviered or tried more, then I'd be a linux guru like you :)
      Hope your project goes well...works.

• bed

bed - 2019-10-21
        1. I'm at the point where I sometimes think it's to late to learn modern stuff. It's becoming harder at least.
          But who cares. One should be satisfied to be able to learn anything at all ;-)

• Chris Roper

Chris Roper - 2019-10-22

Whilst we are all showing our age.............

My first programming was in BASIC via a teletype terminal to a HP mini computer during a holiday job at an architecture firm. I joined them as a draftsman to consider a career in Architecture. I left them hooked on Computers and studied Electronics instead.

My first Home Computers were the ZX80, ZX81 and Spectrum (all Sinclair BASIC) I skipped the XL and bought a Dragon as 6809 based Dragon 32/64 with Motorola BASIC then made the final leap to the First IBM PC with GWBASIC.

I stuck with basic and ASM up till the introduction of Windows, for which I switched to Visual BASIC. VB was great with VB3 being the best. Then along came Visual Studio and Visual BASIC 6....
    The language was no longer even recognisable as BASIC and had adapted all of the bad features of C# (MS version of C++) and had lost all of the good features of Visual Basic.

I have not programmed a PC since.

Cheers
    Chris

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-26

Back to gcb under linux latests mint 19.x cinnammon 64bit.
    I found a script install scriptin gcb help, looks dated.
    I have gcb and gcb as fies that are unzipped in my down load folder.
    I got the @syn ide to open but forgot how.
    It didn't find the files on win hd. paths or something or can't import win gcb files.
    On a need to use basis I boot into mint not win 64 because it runs faster and has the same problems using my old epson stylus dx4400 printer scanner.

The info is there so why no compiled for linux installation availiable. The gcb team develope windows gcb only.
    It's a win prog supported by others to linux and mac os
    mac os seems to work easier or does it?
    I want to use mint more.

• Trev

Trev - 2019-10-27

The info is there so why no compiled for linux installation availiable.

I imagine it is because there are so many different versions of Linux.

mac os seems to work easier or does it?

Indeed it does. I provide a graphical installer of a pre-compiled macOS GCB binary to Evan for releases. See: https://sourceforge.net/p/gcbasic/discussion/579125/thread/10077cd8b6/

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-27

Is this valid from help?
    Overview
    Introduction: Great Cow BASIC can be used when using the Linux Operating System.

This instructions are not distribution specific, but are for Linux only (not Windows).

Instructions: Complete the following steps to compile and install Great Cow BASIC for Linux:

Install FreeBasic from your distributions repository or http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/CompilerInstalling
    Download the "Great Cow BASIC - Linux Distribution" from SourceForge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/gcbasic/files/
    Unrar/unpack GCB@Syn.rar to a location of your choice within your home directory (eg. within Downloads) with either a file manager or from a console.
    From a console, change to the Great Cow BASIC Sources in the unpacked directory:
    eg. cd ~/Downloads/GCB@Syn/GreatCowBasic/Sources/GCBASIC
    Make sure that install.sh is set as executable (ie. chmod +x install.sh), and then execute: ./install.sh build
    You will need root privileges for this step. You can switch user (su) to root, or optionally use sudo.
    Execute: [sudo] ./install.sh install
    If you su’d to root, use exit to drop back to your normal user. Then, be sure to follow the instructions given by the script for updating your path.
    Confirm proper execution, and the version, of Great Cow BASIC by executing: gcbasic /version
    Now you can create and compile Great Cow BASIC source files.

Programming microcontrollers:

To program your microcontroller with your Great Cow BASIC created hex file, you will need additional programming and programmer software.

For Microchip PIC microcontroller programming, you might find what you need at: http://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=pg164120

For Atmel AVR microcontroller programming, you will need avrdude. It should be available in your distributions repository. If not, check here: http://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/

• Trev

Trev - 2019-10-27

I have used the instructions from the Help to install GCB on an Ubuntu Linux cloud server - there was only one issue: the particular version of Ubuntu needed an additional library installed first. Looking at my notes, it was the ncurses-dev library or the compilation failed with the linker complaining -lncurses cannot be found.

• stan cartwright

Thanks Trev. On this pc I am liking mint 19.2 more than win 10 on same pc.
        The pc has only 2 gig of ram. 8 gig is on the way from Hongkong.

• stan cartwright

I give up...for now.
    GCB will never work for me under mint 19.2.
    Someone please make it easy like win install.
    The help and links to freebasic don't seem to work so having trouble installing freebasic.

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-29

I installed wine on mint 19.2
    It's in the start panel
    I click it and use browse c: drive
    I click 400G...
    I click GCB@Syn
    I click IDE.exe and the ide opens.
    I click files then open and the path to my gcbstuff is
    400G.../medi/STAN/F2D26FFD26C805/documents and settings/stan555/documents/gcbstuff.
    the files open and gcb remembers the location. I'm not sure how to make a shortcut to the ide. When running it says at top ((default))z:\media\stan\f2d262ffd262c805\document and settings\stanley555\documents\gcbbasicstuff\
    I asmbled a test and saved it to above and it's saved ok.
    So gcb is working under linux wine? I'll program hardware tomorrow and see.

Last edit: stan cartwright 2019-10-29
  • stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2019-10-29

I compiled a gcb program under win 10 64 bit and it took 11.5 seconds.
    Compiling the same program using gcb under linux mint 19.2 wine on the same pc it took 8.5 seconds. I thought it would be slower.
    The set up programmer is different. I can select say nano 326p as first programmer bit no mention of com port.
    I tried flash hex and said flashed ok but it didn't !

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)